Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Please be quiet and ride!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a slightly used Z150 of of the classifieds about 7 months ago. The fork performed pefectly , but now the right fork leg is spewing oil. The seal is so bad that there is an oil spot on the garage floor where I parked the bike. No worries as I have a set of Enduro seals on the way. I have owned 4 other zocchi forks and only had to replace the seals on a z1 after about 18 months. I change my fork oil about 3-4 times per yr with stock weight Golden Spectra. Is it strange that the seals failed so quickly? How long should seals last? Could the air preload assit(5psi) have caused this? I did bottom the fork badly( Metal -to- Metal clank) once while hucking to a flat landing!

The second time I changed the oil in this fork, which was after the seal had started leaking. I pulled the stantions out of the sliders to take a look at the seals, and to scout replacing them. I re-assembled the fork, added the correct amount of oil to each leg, but I had for got to put one of the dust wipers back on, so I pulled the stantions out again to put the dust wiper back on. When I put it all back together the oil level was a-lot lower than what it had been. I added more oil to each leg to get the correct level and caped it up. I didn't spill any of the oil, where did it go?

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
if you just add the oil to the correct level, you haven't added enough oil. You must cycle the oil into the damper by compressing the fork. Now, it WILL get into the damper if you just leave it there for a while, but because we like to change the oil as efficiantly as possible, we cycle the fork to get the oil into the cartridge, and then recheck the level and get it to the correct level.

My guess is that you didn't cycle the damper when you put the oil in it the first time?

·
Please be quiet and ride!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that??

JM,

I compress and extend the catridges many times to get the old oil out. I then do the same after I fill up the legs. Yes, the level does drop after you cycle the cartridges. I usually cycle the cartridges until there are no more visible bubbles, and the levels hold steady. I also open and close the rebound adjuster while cycling the cartridges to make sure everything is full.

Thanks
BB

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
well, if you did that i am not sure "where" the oil went, except perhaps in between the stanchions and lowers, anyhow it seems like your fork was a little more than "slightly used" with the way those seals gave out. The seals should last at least a year, and usually you get even more out of them than that...

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
wierd, what do you mean by "reseal"? Put new seals in it, or just let the air out and unscrew the caps, and then put them back on and pump it back up?

·
Registered
462 Posts
When I changed the oil in my z1, I cycled the dampers many times, set the oil height and whatnot. Then, when I opened it back up after riding it to adjust the oil height, whaddyaknow, the oil height was waaaayyy low. I am guessing that there were some air pockets in the dampers or something.

It happened to me, and probabley many other people. I think it is normal. Anyone know how to get around this? -t

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The oil is on your springs

When you put the springs back in, which you probably wiped off before putting back in, they get covered with oil. It is amazing how much oil the springs get coated with. Nothing to worry about, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts