Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Blur LT with an RP3. 3 rides, and it won't hold air.Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yup, if it's a new bike....

take it back to the LBS and have them contact Fox. It should be covered under warranty. If it's used off ebay or something then go to the LBS and have them order a seal kit for it. The seals are user serviceable, the damping system is NOT. You can do the work yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Go to the Fox website and download the manual for your shock and take a look at the service instructions video as well. The isntructions are quite clear. Sounds like you've blown the main air seal. Another option if you are unsure about doing it your self would be to have the LBS do it. This assumes of course that the shock is out of warranty. Either way your looking at some down time.

Good Dirt

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
It could also be an indication that your Blur LT has poor alignment. If that's the case, you'll keep blowing shocks. Might as well get the LBS to look at the frame.

_MK

·
Registered
16 Posts
RP3 on my new Blur LT

Did you just get your BLT? I got a new BLT frame last week and I have problems with the RP3 as well (after 3 rides).

Mine is "stuck" at a little less than 1/2 the travel. I put the shock pump on and it still has the same amount of pressure in it, so its not losing air. At first I thought it might be the cold temps (rode in the snow). The manual said there is probably air in the return chamber. I am going to bring it back to my LBS tomorrow.

Does anyone know how long this will take dealing with Fox?

Fish

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
ilpescatore it sounds like you've got the classic Fox stuck down thing going on (do a search here on mtbr for that, you'll find plenty). Witnessed a buddy's do that two weeks ago and he just emailed me today he's got it back and all's good again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Fox "stuck-down" is kind of like a flu bug that seems to be going around. My lbs sent my Triad off to Fox last week after they couldn't get it apart. I don't expect it back until next week.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
I had to send in a DHX Air for the "stuck down" issue and it was back with in 2 weeks. Not to bad in my mind. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just spoke to Fox and SC

be350ka said:
I had to send in a DHX Air for the "stuck down" issue and it was back with in 2 weeks. Not to bad in my mind. :rolleyes:
I just spoke to both Fox and Santa Cruz, who are both unable to help me this week.They are doing inventory,and can not squat to pee!A new bike, and I must wait?It seems it's only as simple as a UPS label, and a satisfied customer.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
hardtail77 said:
I just spoke to both Fox and Santa Cruz, who are both unable to help me this week.They are doing inventory,and can not squat to pee!A new bike, and I must wait?It seems it's only as simple as a UPS label, and a satisfied customer.
Call up PUSH Industries and see if they can help you out. Darren fixed me up with some TALAS warranty work, might be able to help you with the stuck down problem.

I am about to build up my new bike with an RP3, and if it gets "stuck down" then I'll certainly try PUSH before Fox.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I spoke to Fox today as well

They told me they are doing inventory and won't be able to send out a return authorization to me until next week.

When I mentioned to the guy I spoke with that it sounds like they had a bad batch of shocks (saw a number of posts with BLT's with this prob), he told me they had issues with some small 6$ parts and once they replace them, the problem should be gone for good.

Luckily its the middle of winter, I don't think I could take 3 weeks of downtime, especially with a new frame with only about 20 miles on it.

Thanks for the help gang.....Fish

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ilpescatore said:
They told me they are doing inventory and won't be able to send out a return authorization to me until next week.

When I mentioned to the guy I spoke with that it sounds like they had a bad batch of shocks (saw a number of posts with BLT's with this prob), he told me they had issues with some small 6$ parts and once they replace them, the problem should be gone for good.

Luckily its the middle of winter, I don't think I could take 3 weeks of downtime, especially with a new frame with only about 20 miles on it.

Thanks for the help gang.....Fish
Why Wait?I'm sending my shock to Push Industries www.pushindustries.com .I sent an e-mail outlining my problem.I received a reply within an hour,and sent my shock yesterday.I find it hard to believe that a big company like FOX can't provide service during inventory.Most of those guys must of NEVER worked retail.I worked for the countries largest outdoor store, and even during inventory,no customer was ever told this.Maybe you manufacturer guys ought to spend some time in the trenches to come off your cloud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Push and warranty?

Would having Push do the work violate the warranty?

It is annoying I can't even get Fox to take down my information until Monday. I had my LBS guy where I bought the frame call both Santa Cruz and Fox as well to see if he got a different answer. Santa Cruz said he would have to deal w/Fox directly. Fox told him he would have to call back on Monday because their computer is down for inventory.

When I spoke to the guy at Fox, he told me that after they fix the RP3, I shouldn't have any problems again. From reading the old posts, this seems like a common problem with these (its even in their manual). It would be costly (and almost beyond annoying), but if this keeps happening it might be worth it to buy another one so I can have a spare.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ilpescatore said:
Would having Push do the work violate the warranty?

It is annoying I can't even get Fox to take down my information until Monday. I had my LBS guy where I bought the frame call both Santa Cruz and Fox as well to see if he got a different answer. Santa Cruz said he would have to deal w/Fox directly. Fox told him he would have to call back on Monday because their computer is down for inventory.

When I spoke to the guy at Fox, he told me that after they fix the RP3, I shouldn't have any problems again. From reading the old posts, this seems like a common problem with these (its even in their manual). It would be costly (and almost beyond annoying), but if this keeps happening it might be worth it to buy another one so I can have a spare.
Push is an authorized retailer of FOX.If it does void the warranty,so what,it's only 1 year anyway.And if I have to go through this again, I prefer having competent,expedient people working on my product.Funny how companies who are trying to build a reputation are willing to go the extra mile....The ones who have made it,forget how they got there...I'll gladly pay for quality service....try finding that many places these days.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
ilpescatore said:
I think Fox is not coming clean about the issue. That sure must be one enormous batch of $6 parts. Fox has been dealing with the "stuck down" issue for at least a couple of years. The problem is so prevalent that Fox included it their 2006 manual.

There are multiple posts from many different people hear at MTBR aobut that issue.

I just hate it when a company deliberately lies about issues.

·
Registered
382 Posts
it happend twice to me on my 575, so I took it to push now its so much better,good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree

Blue Shorts said:
I think Fox is not coming clean about the issue. That sure must be one enormous batch of $6 parts. Fox has been dealing with the "stuck down" issue for at least a couple of years. The problem is so prevalent that Fox included it their 2006 manual.

There are multiple posts from many different people hear at MTBR aobut that issue.

I just hate it when a company deliberately lies about issues.
I totally agree with you. When I mentioned that I read that there were a bunch of people with new BLTs the guy at Fox took offense and tried to say it wasn't a widespread problem.

For what I paid for the frame with the Fox, I would expect it to work fine. If it wasn't the middle of winter (and snowboard season in the NE), I would be really upset. The fact that I have to wait a week just to get them to take my name/address says a lot about the company. Maybe if its REALLY due to a computer problem, they need me as their new IT director?

I'll be calling them first thing on Monday with everyone else....Fish

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
FOX seems to have very lapse customer service that's for sure. PUSH is defintely the way to go if you want to deal w/ fast, friendly, knowledgable people. Maybe FOXs attitude will shape up now that the RS MC3/MC3R are now available and basically the same type of shock as the RP3 with the advantage of a remote lock-out switch. Maybe some bike m,anufacturers besides TREK will start using this shock on their frames instead of the FOX stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PUSH is better!

LyNx said:
FOX seems to have very lapse customer service that's for sure. PUSH is defintely the way to go if you want to deal w/ fast, friendly, knowledgable people. Maybe FOXs attitude will shape up now that the RS MC3/MC3R are now available and basically the same type of shock as the RP3 with the advantage of a remote lock-out switch. Maybe some bike m,anufacturers besides TREK will start using this shock on their frames instead of the FOX stuff.
Hey,my shock was delivered to PUSH yesterday.I'll be back up before next weekend.So, whilst all you are waiting for FOX....I'll be riding!I live in So.Cal, and the weather is rockin'! Forget about the lockout.....it's a quick fix to a poor frame design.You will notice, that PUSH must permananetly disable any lockout shock to have it "PUSHED".It's as I always felt...if you must lock it out,you bought the wrong bike.I love the BLT ride, but SC needs to re-evaluate the situation.A poor supplier hurts your reputation...when things don't work...your losing sales.Who can afford that these days! The bike industry needs to pull their head out of their ass,and figure out how make people happy beyond the "sale".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts