Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was riding in New York, on Hunter Mountain (4040ft), not the actual Hunter Ski resort, but on an adjacent mountain also named Hunter with a fire lookout tower.

It was an grueling climb, some 3000 or so feet over 3.2 miles.

Going down was crazy and fun. The rocks were shaking my poor bike and my wrists were getting sore. I made careful use of the brakes not to slide out but kept on average of 20mph downhill which was pretty intense.

At the bottom, I noticed that I had lost my rear shock. I was not feeling dampening when going over rocks. I also noticed an excess amount of oil on the piston which wasn't there before. I disassembled the coil over the oil shock to see if it was still functioning. I could compress the shock but it would not extend by itself. I had to forcully pull the seat of the bike away from the tire so the shock would extend again.

Have I blown the shock?

Here is a picture of the bike:
https://www.audigy.block9files.net/bike/DSCN2758.JPG

Here is a closeup of the shock:
https://www.audigy.block9files.net/bike/DSCN2762.JPG

Big 1.2MB images but with much detail.

Thanks!

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
A couple of my friends rode bikes with rockshox coil chocks before. All of them blew when they took them off road. Now anybike that comes with a rockshox shock I steer away from unless I can get it changed to a FOX or such.

But if you see oil coming from the shock and the damping adjustment ( if any) isnt working then you have a blown shock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SuperNewb said:
A couple of my friends rode bikes with rockshox coil chocks before. All of them blew when they took them off road. Now anybike that comes with a rockshox shock I steer away from unless I can get it changed to a FOX or such.

But if you see oil coming from the shock and the damping adjustment ( if any) isnt working then you have a blown shock.
Thanks!
I think I will check out shocks made by Fox.
I think there might be a problem finding the right size since currently, the Rock Shox on there is 6.5" eye to eye.

Would you know of any shocks that are of this length?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts