Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew a fox air shock(now the air slowly leaks out until empty) and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any decent shock service shops, or if anyone had the same thing happen and how they fixed it. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know which shock you have but usually on rear shocks that are air they can be taken appart very easy. All you have to do is stick the air end bushings in a vice (do this very carefully so you don't mar the bushings, and don't stick the other end in the vice, only the air end) You can then spin the body of the shock off revealing the air chamber. Usually what blows is the thin rubber o-ring which you should be able to get from fox or try to find one at a local hardware store. I had a rock shox that kept blowing seals so I replaced it with a hardware store one and it held for two years, way longer than the oem ones. Make sure that you put a little grease on the o-ring when you put the shock back on. Oh and remember if you can't figure your shock go to your local bike shop and ask them. Better that than break your shock. Hope this helps.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Mutt said:
I blew a fox air shock(now the air slowly leaks out until empty) and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any decent shock service shops, or if anyone had the same thing happen and how they fixed it. Thanks

Air leaks are usually an easy fix. Seal kits are only a couple bucks from Fox. If you shock is more than a year old, I would go ahead and do this anyway. Fox has an online video showing the overhaul procedure. The other things to check:

1. Make sure the can is screwed tightly to the shock.
2. Leak round the Schrader valve. Might just need some teflon tape on the threads.
3. Schrader valve core might be loose. The valve core tool is available at the local auto parts store (same valve as car/truck tires).

If you shock leaks out without riding (static leak), you can try to pump it up near max. 300psi, dunk it underwater and check for bubbles.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Also, check the schraeder valve core where you attach the pump. Sometimes these need to be replaced after a few years of use, and other times the valve core just needs a little tightening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts