Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
How did you get pulmonary embolism. Those things can be fatal. I had a tree stand accident while hunting and ended up in a trauma unit for 1 month. In that period I had a pulmonary embolism and because I was surrounded by docs and nurses they put me on resuscitation and then underwent heparin and coumadin therapy for about 6 months. I then had a greenfield filter put in my vena cava to prevent any further pulmonary embolisms. It can be different for everyone. It all depends on your K factor. And your docs philosophy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I had a blood clot in my lungs the last thing on my mind would be to ride but from what my wife says (RN) they could be fatal when they travel and or cause you not to be able to breath. They don't just go away, you'll need an IV Heperin drip to dissolve the blood clot and takes a long time to dissolve (everyone reacts differently) I wouldn't mess around with anything else but to get treatment and follow orders to get better. Nuggets nailed it on the head!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when the dr's take away every activity it does make you wanna be able to ride
Tryning to see if anyone else has ever had them and how it went for them. Have had the heparin injections and yes the coumadin is ongoing. However now it back to more injections and just got out of the hosp for the second time.
Not much fun just sitting around waiting for them to dissolve. As for how i got them they don't know.....and those tests to determine that will be come in the months ahead

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just a note, Skihillguy, I don't know if anyone said anything to you about diet but you should be aware that dark green veggies should be avoided. They will make your clots worse. Has anyone suggested a greenfield filter be installed in your vena cava? This filter prevents clots originating in your lower extremities from moving upwards to your lungs. I have one. I had my total knee replacement done March 17,08 and my leg clotted. I did the injections plus coumadin and was riding June 11,08. I hope this helps a little but by all means follow your docs advice. Did you have any surgery prior to the clots?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Yesthey have made me aware of everything. All my fav veggies are on those lists!
The major problem is the amount and severity of clots all throughout the lungs. The Dr's have I haven;t had any surgery or anything of the sort...and no long travel trips. Thelongest trips of late have been the 2.5 hr ambulance rides to the hosp in the city. They are tryinjg to get the clots removed before begining the tests to figure out where they have come from. The INR levels aren't even coming under control. I have been placed back on injections now and bloodwork has gone back to daily status.

I thank you guys for the info you have been able to provide so far

·
Registered
228 Posts
I,m kinda' new to the injections(first time last year) but back in 1996 when I had the pulmonary embolism I was put on heparin I.V. When I was in the hospital this year I had the shots. They said something about heparin not being safe because there were some manufacturing problems with batches coming out of China. Sounds like your in good hands
so rest up and get well. Inactivity is the worse thing for blood clots .... Once they figure on what the problem is.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wanted to Re-Open this Thread

I wanted to share my story (this is my PM that I shared with SkiHillGuy about my experience with this subject)

SKIHILLGUY,

My name is Nathan, and I just came accross this thread.

Here's my story. I have been a mtb addict for nearly 2.5 years, but when I started getting serious, I went full bore. I was racing (Clyde) and in some of the best cardio shape I have ever been. I had done a number of mtb races, and even mixed in a XTERRA Triathlon as well. I also was mixing in a little hiking here and there. Right after Easter this year, I noticed that my lungs felt really out of shape, as if I had never been in shape. I knew something was wrong, but being the personality that I am, I just pushed my cardio even harder.

Eventually, after two weeks, I went to see a doctor. He was a bust and I walked out on his ridiculous treatments and headed to the ER. I asked to be tested for PE's because I have a family history of clots, and my Mom had a PE a little over a year ago. Sure enough, they found bilateral PE's (both lungs). This was really weird, but I knew that was what it had to be. The only clotting experience I have had in the past was a superficial thrombophilia, which did not raise too many alarms. This time, I was lucky to be alive and spent 11 days in the hospital as they tried to get my blood to "Therapeudic Levels." I agree that there are little things worse on Earth than sitting in a hospital bed with nothing even attached to yourself, just waiting to get my INR above a 2.0. I was on Heparin (Lovanox) shots twice a day and up to 12mg of Coumadin.

Since that time, I discovered that I am positive for Factor V Leiden, and likely have Lupus Anticoagulant. Both are exclusive of eachother, but the combination of two means that I will be on thinners indefinately. My doctor said that I am not to be riding or taking chances for risk of a head injury. Here is the toughest decision I have. However, I still ride. I can't stop doing what I love, what gives me a release and allows for my sanity. Sure I have new boundaries and limits. I may not race very much anymore, and I carry a better first aid kit. I may get a full face helmet, but otherwise, I ride to enjoy it. It may be the wrong decision, but we all take the exact same risks every time we get in a vehicle. Should I stop driving as well? At some point you have to gut check and determine what is best - hell, my gut is what made me have to rule out a PE when this problem started.

I just thought I would share my story with you because we have similar experiences, and I know what you are going through. Feel free to PM me any time to discuss.

Thank You,

Nathan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.