Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of y'all are fans of the Phil's World trail system in SW Colorado near Cortez, so I'm sharing:

I've been on an email update list for Phil's World for awhile, and BLM has announced that they have approved the addition of 22.5 miles of new trail to the Phil's World system. There is reference to SWCCA (Southwest Colorado Cycling Association) volunteers building trail, but I don't know if part of it will be on contract or if it will be all volunteer. Can any SWCCA people clarify?

In addition to the new trails that will utilize the IMBA stacked-loop concept, there will be new trailheads and parking areas off country roads at the north end of the project.

Wildlife migration, nesting eagles, bitty mice, cultural resources and more were taken into consideration to get to this point. The trail system will be open to NON-MOTORIZED users: so hikers, mountain bikers and equestrians (!), although the existing part of the trails system does not seem at all equestrian friendly and I don't know how much of the new trail will be.

The text of the detailed BLM notification letter (including a map showing the proposed trails) is here.

There is also a completely different project in the very initial planning stages (Paths to Mesa Verde) to create a multi-use path from Cortez and Mancos to the entrance to Mesa Verde National Park. The Cortez to Mesa Verde section would have a spur to the Phil's World parking lot off Highway 160 and how cool would that be?

I'm following this from 1,000 miles away; if anyone who has been directly involved in this project would like to comment on this and amplify (timeline to completion, for example) please do!

Edited to add a link to this article in the local paper, The Journal: Bureau of Land Management Approves Expansion of Phil's World

Reactions: CWnSWCO

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are seriously thinking of retiring to the Cortez/Mancos/Dolores area in a few years.
Same here, but 13 Colorado winters in Dolores and on Summit Ridge were plenty. Would like to be there May through the end of October. It's sweet country all the way around and an easy drive over to Utah or down to Gallup for the High Desert Trail System or over to Sand Canyon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts