Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will this short fork make the bike feel to sketchy?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh also its a 94 model blizzard.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
No

No, it's longer than forks were back then. I don't think the Z1 100mm DH model came out until 97 and it was for "DH". 94 forks were probably 50 to 65mm. I think the Z2 will be a good match with your classic Blizzard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoops,sorry travis i meant an 2004...........MY BAD!!

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
04 Geometry

I checked their site but the geometry chart dosn't specify fork length. 73.5/71 is whay they say and it's likely with a 80mm fork in 04. I still think it will suit the frame just fine. I like my TALUS 85-125mm because I can run it on my 98 Kona Explosif or my 5 Spot.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
In '04 RM switched to 100 mm travel fork on the Hammer and I am pretty sure that they did the same to the Blizzard.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Should be ok

I don't think the frame angles have changed over the last couple of years so the change from 80mm to 100mm forks will have slackened the angles slightly. Putting a 75mm fork on will probably make the head angle a tad steeper than 71 degrees. Running a bigger tyre on the front would probably counter the slightly shorter fork.

Cheers,

Fluff

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
If you check the geometry of the 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06 RM hardtail bikes, the Blizzard head tube and seat angle slackened and the standover height changed when they went from the 85mm fork to a 105mm fork, so they didn't change the actual frame geometry when they went to the longer fork. The Blizzard has been equipped with an 75-85mm or longer fork since 2000 I'm reasonably sure.

I'm running an 80mm Magura Ronin on a 2005 Blizzard and it feels pretty much the same as my Vertex with an 80mm Fox fork, not twitchy at all. That 5mm variation won't amount to much of a head tube angle change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
93 blizzard with Z2 atom sport

I have a 93 Blizzard that has been re-powdercoated white. The only original parts that were salvaged from 14 years of riding are my seatpost clamp, XT thumbshifters (wearing out pretty soon) and my 737 shimano spuds. When I re-powdercoated my frame, I had a chance to replace my old Judy forks and swapped it with the Marzocchi Z2 atom sport off my 2001 RM Element Race and didn't have to cut my fork's steering tube. It was the right length, but the fork is a 80mm travel.
For a semi-new technological longer travel fork fitting on a frame that was designed around the 1.5 inch travel like the original RS Mag/Quadra series or the elastomer cnc manitous. It does change the angles of the frame, and would effect the style of riding. Longer forks would crack the frame if the frame wasn't designed for longer travel forks. But for me that the frame has not cracked, it was an advantage because after years of riding on a hardtail with a rucksack loaded with textbooks riding back and forth from college. It caused my back to be sore and painful especially riding with a 0 rise stem, small travel fork and flatbars. With the fork upgrade, a 15 Degree rise raceface stem and easton riser bars. I feel more relieved and less stress on my back. I ride more upright and being comfortable. If I were you, I would change to a new stem with a different rise and length if you don't feel comfortable with your existing set up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i think i am just going to go with a new fork now.i'm just going to purchase a manitou black with adjustable travel.

is it even legal to run anything else besides a marrzochi fork on a rocky mountain???? :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts