Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a RM Blizzard soon, but am torn between what size to get.
I am about 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I'm all torso so most bikes feel cramped. The 17.5 looks like it would be long enough but I might not have any clearance for my boys.
Anybody have experience sizing rocky frames?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can you try one?

I'd say firstly its worth trying one for size (even if its a different XC model).

I'm 5'10" and got an 18.5" but I'm longer in the leg. I find it less of a stretch than my 19" Konas (it has a shorter top tube). You will have the opposite problem of getting a frame long enough but with decent standover.

If your riding is mainly technical then having a shorter top tube will be an advantage but if its more fast open trails then you might struggle to get a RM with the right length top tube and nad clearance.

Later

Fluff

·
Registered
10 Posts
toadstool,

I'm nearly your size (5' 8", 30" inseam), and I just received my 17.5" 2006 Blizzard frame. I was able to ride a couple different size RM Vertexes (Vertices?) which have similar, but not identical dimensions, and I decided that the eff. top tube length of the 17.5" would be near ideal for me. There is not much difference in the standover between the 16" and 17.5" Blizzard. The Blizzard seems to have a somewhat shortened cockpit. For example, I was also shopping Jamis steel hardtails and the 15.5" Jamis felt very similar to the 17.5" Vertex I test rode. The 17" Jamis was just a little too long for me, but the 17.5" Vertex felt very very good, and I still had enough standover clearance. Anyway, it all comes down to personal preference so (as always) you should try to test ride one of the RM hardtails before you buy.

Good luck

·
the wrench
469 Posts
im also 5'7" with just under a 30" inseam and my 17.5 blizzard fits great with a 90mm stem. s for clearance for the boys just make sure you get an 80mm fork and not 100mm. with our dimensions im always touching ball on frame esp near the front because of the height of the fork but because the blizzard has a really sloping tt it should work out fine for you. except for nutting myself on my stem i havent had any problems with standover clearence or bailing clearence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm... I'm going to check out a rocky dealer when i get a chance.
I would be using a 100mm reba... so a 17.5 might be too tall...

Thanks guys.

·
the wrench
469 Posts
i rode an 18.5 hammer before this one and i would say with youre slight height advantage over me it would probably fit allright with a 80mm stem. the tradeoff though would be a longer wheelbase, which wouldnt be as good in the single. when i went to the slightly shorter frame of the 17.5 i enjoyed the small bit of clearence that it gave me as well as the slightly shorter wheelbase fit me soo much nicer when carving up the single track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blizzard Sizing

I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, very short torso and long neck and limbs. I ride a Blizzard 18.5" frame with a fully set back seatpost - fully extended on easy terrain too, along with a 1200mm stem. I find the top tube length the most important feature for determining control and comfort. Rockys generally - and Blizzard/Hammers - seem to fit my body best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.