Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some used kona explosif and rm blizzards for sale on the internet. The bikes look to be in good condition overall and are about 2 to 3 yrs old. I have never ridden either one of these. I have heard good things about these bike. If you had to pick one which one and why? But I guess U could not make a wrong decision. They do not have disc brakes on them now. I did have a gary fisher advance back in the day (which was a cro moly frame).

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
Limited Experience

I wasn't going to respond as I have not owned either bike. However, since you're not getting any traction on this one yet, I figured I'd share my limited experience. I demoed a Blizzard for a day in the Colorado Front Range and an Explosif for a day in the hills near Tucson.

Both are fine bikes.

The explosif seemed to ride higher, but then it was outfitted with a Psylo that I kept in the long travel position. This was a good geometry for the ride I was doing that day (The Chutes), but wouldn't be my first choice for most rides. The top tube was a little short for my liking as well. The Blizzard geometry was spot on for me, but then I owned a RM Oxygen at the time--the Blizzard was a very similar ride--just not quite as punishing as the very stiff aluminim frame on the Oxygen. If I was after a steel HT, the blizzard would be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at the explosif either.

·
zoip.
170 Posts
I ride an older blizzard frame that I picked up in '00 (I think) as a replacement frame after I broke a ventana hardtail. The one I've got was the last year of pre-853 steel. it's been a sweet ride. I'm running a 100mm fork which slowed the steering somewhat, but it was a worthwhile tradeoff for some added plush. absolutely no complaints in five years of ownership....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Blizz all the way

Although I have not had a chance to ride an explosif I do own a 2004 Blizzard. I was going to sell the Blizzard and get a Explsoif frame so I could run it singlespeed but I put on a White Industries ENO disc hub and all is good. I got the Blizzard after 3 years of ridding a Rocky Element full suspension and just could not believe how well the bike handles and I could not bring myself to sell it. The bike just felt right from day one. There has to be a reason they have been selling Blizzards for 20 years! The Kona is a cool bike don't get me wrong but the Blizzard is a classic.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a 2004 Blizzard and a Kona Dawg Dee Lux, although I have never ridden the Explosif. My point is that I am not biased with respect to brand. With that said, I love the Blizzard and it was recommended by my LBS that sells both of them.

I bought the blizzard frame, to replace my aluminum hardtail, so I would have another bike worth riding. Now I ride the Blizzard as much as my Kona.

The ride compared to the aluminum is amazing, and the Blizzard is a stiff frame. I'm sure the explosif is a great bike, but there is something about the Blizzard that everyone raves about. I know three others that ride Blizzards, and they all say the same.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
the explosif

Atomic300 said:
I have seen some used kona explosif and rm blizzards for sale on the internet. The bikes look to be in good condition overall and are about 2 to 3 yrs old. I have never ridden either one of these. I have heard good things about these bike. If you had to pick one which one and why? But I guess U could not make a wrong decision. They do not have disc brakes on them now. I did have a gary fisher advance back in the day (which was a cro moly frame).
i realy liked my explosif. it was compliant, it handled well (1o0mm z3)and the geometry was spot on for me. From the konaworld site he frameset which is gearie and SS compatible is cheap. The addition of disc would make the bike so much better IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.