Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a steel El Mariachi singlespeed and have been offered a set of Roval carbon wheels for a great price.

I fitted a set of them to my geared bike and it made a huge difference to the ride so I'd expect similar from the El Mar.

Is it wrong to fit a set of bling wheels that are probably worth more than the rest of the bike combined? :eekster:

I intend to upgrade the frame at some point to something a bit nicer, possibly a Ti El Mar or a Niner if they ever sort their UK prices out so they wouldn't be so out of place on that!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I don't understand the question....
While, IMO, the most important piece is the frame, wheels should be a close 2nd or tied for 1st. If you expect, based on previous experience, that the wheels will be loved and show love back then wth not get them?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wrong? There is no wrong. I ride a Kona Unit steel rigid single with a I9 enduro wheelsets. Not as fancy as the Rovals but a step up from what most others in my area ride. If your happy do it.

If others think your too bling too bad.

Your ride . If you like the Roval for pimp factor and/or performance go for it.

F those who look upon you with disdain. Same for those who look down upon us SS riders.

Enjoy

·
Registered
74 Posts
One thing is for sure, make sure the cones are properly adjusted so your wheels ride smooth with as little resistance as possible from the axle. This will make your ride much more pleasant.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Yeah...if it's a good deal, then go for it. Nothing wrong with having some nice wheels on an inexpensive frame.
I wouldn't call the Mariachi an inexpensive frame, but I also can't ever imagine paying the amount of money some of those carbon frames go for retail. I'm not particularly cheap, I just don't have that much money and don't envision being able to justify the expenditure. To each their own, more power to ya' if that's your thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wheels are the best upgrade. Everyone would be hard pressed to notice a pound on the frame...but on the wheel and rotating. You are gonna love that upgrade. Your climb, sprint and pump are going to the next level. Enjoy what you have and smile.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Are the rovals really that much bling? They are a nice set of wheels but they are just mid range overseas hubs attached to mid level carbon rims. They are no more expensive thatn a set of Kings or I9s laced to some stans or similar wheels.

I would put them on the bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've had a Redline Monocog for a few years now and finally got sick of the laggy rear hub so I'm having some new wheels laced up. The new Hope rear hub alone costs more than I paid for the bike. Seems wacky but it's a budget build and I'm only spending money where it's really worth it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Some of the roval wheels use an oversized endcap on the front hub - I know this can cause issues with some forks. Yes you should get the wheels if you want them, but make sure they fit :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought that might be the response I'd get.
There's still only a relatively small number of riders you see over here riding singlespeed so you get used to people thinking you're strange because of the bike you're riding!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Go for it!

If you continue to ride the bike, it will be a better bike with better wheels. You don't need any other justification.

If at some point you decide the bike isn't for you, you'll still have killer wheels for your next bike.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Do it.

I am running I9 Torches laced to Stans Arch EX hoops on my Nimble9. Not as blingy as the wheels you're looking at, but I absolutely LOVE the nice wheels. ESPECIALLY on a singlespeed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What sort of a question is this? The steel El Mariachi frame with adjustable dropouts and 44mm head tube is simply one of the best frames ever made. You are going to have a hard time finding a better SS frame at any price, including the El Mar ti. Put the best wheels you can on it. I currently have AC wheels on mine that cost about as much as the frame, but I wouldn't be opposed to putting on wheels that cost much more than the frame.

Just because the frame is a bargain, doesn't mean you'll get a better ride if you pay for ti or carbon. Yes you'll save weight, but you will sacrifice ride quality. I keep trying other frames, only to find I always want to just ride my steel El Mariachi. Search for reviews where you'll find people with the ti El Mar say it rides stiffer than the steel one (it is a much larger down tube to get decent pedaling stiffness with flexy titanium, so the irony is you pay a lot more to save just a little weight, but get a worse ride). Sometimes I wonder whether we ever would have invented suspension if we had just stuck with nice steel frames. Sorry, I realize this last paragraph is completely off topic.

·
Registered
524 Posts
WTF are you talking about man, the El Mariachi is a sick frame. deck that thing out! Just because it wasn't expensive doesn't mean it's not an amazing frame.

·
Registered
748 Posts
A frame isn't a bike until all the components are there. You don't say anything like "should I put this saddle on my bike? It cost more than the brake set.", so why should wheels be any different?

<- Has a MCF with a fork on it that cost more than the frame, wheels that cost more than the frame, and brakes that cost more than the frame. It's a great bike now.

·
Yeet so hard
680 Posts
unless carbon has an expiration date the wheels can go on a more expensive frame down the road (if you are concerned about that sort of thing)... if you can afford them, buy them. I think N+1 applies for all components on a bike ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts