Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Slingshot, White Bros., Schlumpf Innovations, DT Swiss, Zipp, H ayes and Sr am for making the products I was able to buy to put this bike together! These were taken on the Lower Loop shakedown cruise this afternoon and all indications are that the bike fits well and should perform admirably for my needs.

Also thanks to Mike and Doogan for the help in getting it built.

This is a Shitmano free product.

·
Registered
508 Posts
hey bob,

man! that thing looks just right, looks like some MC assisted product on that rig. so how's she ride, purdy good? nice willits stem and Brooks swift Ti saddle, sure like those saddles. trying to break in the british racing green one right now. takes some time, but the others sure have some miles, and maybe i should give them a break. umm, zipp wheels.

all for now, gotta hit the sack,

over and out
nate

·
Registered
580 Posts
You'd better hurry......

]Daaaaaammmn! That bike looks sweet!

Can I come over and ride it?

Rumor has it that the BiggWheel is abdicating his throne at the Butte before the snow flies.

Ken

ps: so what's with them wheelio dealios Daddio? More aero? Shed snow? Look beachen?

ps2: Didja know you can't say b!tchen on this board? It's CENSORSHIP I say!!!!!! Boycott something right away!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nut, don't suffer. Soak that saddle in a bucket of warm water for a bit and go ride the bike for about an hour. That is the way I do all my Brooks break ins. A coat of Proofhide after ices the cake.

Brett, you are of course welcome at any time. I think that 31.8 post will come out of its hole enough for you to ride the bike! BTW, sorry to hear about your loss. Wish I had not sold that 292 so cheap now as I could have sent that to you! How's Elijah doin?

Ken, rumormongerer. The wheels are the answer to the naysayers always saying that 700c wheels are flexy. I figure they will be a lifetime setup for me. Plus, they do have a certain look about them.

A little over 2 weeks from concept to custom build. Who says you have to take forever to do something like this? Should be able to get in a decent ride this weekend and will post a report on that first of the week.

BTW Glowboy and other NW'ers. I am driving through to drop my kid off at UBC, leaving next week and may have some time on the return trip to do some of those way cool looking Oregun rides that everyone is all posting about. I am not too sure of the scheduling as it depends a bit on *work* load but hopefully I can get together with at least one of that gang for a ride sometime around the end of the first week in Sept?

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
I want that bike!

Bigwheel said:
Thanks to Slingshot, White Bros., Schlumpf Innovations, DT Swiss, Zipp, H ayes and Sr am for making the products I was able to buy to put this bike together!
Wow BW, that's freakin awesome. Get deals on the goods? Hope so. The Slingshot and Scandium softail Salsa are on my short list for a 29"er. How's it ride?

See ya in Vegas?
HW

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Bling Bling indeed

B.W.: Nice ride. I have to admit that I covet those wheels they are so sweet..drool... I noticed when riding w/MC that the Zipps even sound cool. They make the 29er sound like a Mac Truck commin' down the trail, I don't know if the rider can hear it but it nearby riders can.

Ken: Hey, Long time no post. Hope you had a good summer and are all ready for winter. I would love to join you in your boycott but in response to the constant overuse of boycotts I have given up boycotting things in order to make a statement about something or other, I think :D

Adam

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ride Report

I only have a few short shakedown cruises in, but the initial prognosis is excellent. On the Willits bikes and the Fisher bikes I have ridden mostly here you have to get way forward on the saddle to climb steeeeep stuff, but I was dicking around today going up some of that and could stay right in the saddle and just keep my shoulders weighted forward. Tons of traction using a wire bead Nano. With that Schlumph drive on there I get a 23-118" range by the way via 18 spds with only a very slight overlap.

The other thing is that the bike is ultra precise. As in way more so than any other 29"er I have ridden to date. Quick handling yet very predictable. Really looking forward to a longer technical ride like the one we are going to go on Sunday! Also would like to try the bike with a rigid fork......

Aosty, you, more than anyone, needs to ride this bike. Disciples of Flex rejoice!!!!

Holly, Baby....No Vegas :mad: this year.

Adam, no sound in the saddle but I know what you are talking about because I have ridden with Mike also.....The wheels are the ultimate in stiffness which in combo with the frame, which is not, makes for somehow a really fluid and precise bike.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, I've been absent lately......

Ken: Hey, Long time no post. Hope you had a good summer and are all ready for winter. I would love to join you in your boycott but in response to the constant overuse of boycotts I have given up boycotting things in order to make a statement about something or other, I think :D

Adam

But it's been THE nicest weather summer we've ever had in 20 some years here. Unfortunately, I've spent most of itunder a welding hood and very little time on any bike.

The good news is it's paying off by getting me out of computer school and into TIG welding school so I can be a more complete and well rounded (HA!) fabricator. If I don't get back on the bike soon I'll be so well rounded that all I can do is weld!

Oh, I forgot, I'm still pissed at you and Pat for not calling me when you came up in May. He gave me some lame excuse about he thought you called, and you thought he called......sniff....doesn't bother me though...sniff...

You gonna do a fall trip up here?

Ken

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Ken,
In our defense (re: May) I think we posted something on the AK board. But somehow both Pat and I thought all sorts of folks were invited/coming, we hung around camp with our wives and Dylan, who drove up with Pat, acting like everyone was invted and blew us off, that made us feel better about the whole thing..... Sorry

Anyway I might be up there around labor day. I want to ride the haul road that weekend, but depending on work/weather/motivation I may come and tour about the Denali H-Way instead. I'll post on the AK board (or hijack another of Bigwheels bike threads) if I'm headed your way.

Adam

AK Ken said:

Adam

But it's been THE nicest weather summer we've ever had in 20 some years here. Unfortunately, I've spent most of itunder a welding hood and very little time on any bike.

The good news is it's paying off by getting me out of computer school and into TIG welding school so I can be a more complete and well rounded (HA!) fabricator. If I don't get back on the bike soon I'll be so well rounded that all I can do is weld!

Oh, I forgot, I'm still pissed at you and Pat for not calling me when you came up in May. He gave me some lame excuse about he thought you called, and you thought he called......sniff....doesn't bother me though...sniff...

You gonna do a fall trip up here?

Ken
:) :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Okay, I'm all better now......

Adam said:
Ken,
In our defense (re: May) I think we posted something on the AK board. But somehow both Pat and I thought all sorts of folks were invited/coming, we hung around camp with our wives and Dylan, who drove up with Pat, acting like everyone was invted and blew us off, that made us feel better about the whole thing..... Sorry

Anyway I might be up there around labor day. I want to ride the haul road that weekend, but depending on work/weather/motivation I may come and tour about the Denali H-Way instead. I'll post on the AK board (or hijack another of Bigwheels bike threads) if I'm headed your way.

Adam

:) :)
Don't forget that all hunting seasons will be in full swing come Labor Day. That means that the Clearwater Controlled Use Area is the riding zone of choice due to its non-motorized hunting access. (Basically from the Susitna to the McLaren on the north side of the highway).

Haul road sounds interesting; make sure you've gotcher ears on so them double clutchin mother truckers know there's meals on wheels out there trollin' for bears. I've seen rocks big enough to swing the side mirror on the truck into the passenger window hard enough to break the glass come sailing off trucks on that road, so be keerful.

What an interesting paragraph THAT turned out to be. Anyway, the gist is watch out for trucks, bring a CB if you've got one.

Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.