Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'8 and what would be an ideal size for me? whether a medium or small?

Right now a have a 05 medium bullit w/ 170mm single crown fork and it feels great. According to SC and Transition's geo their medium and small frames are almost the same but each has their own riders height preference.. According to transition rider's height 5"-5'10 for Small and 5'8-6'2 for medium. What should i get? Btw, I'm planning to put a boxxer fork. TIA!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Depends on your preference I am 5'8 5'9" ish and I ride a medium BS and a small BR the only reason I have the Med BS is because it is a dedicated DH sled i have the BR for everything else. the longer wheelbase and cockpit feel good on the DH but it is long. so my suggestion is to go for the small if its going to be a freeride and DH bike but if your doing only DH racing maybe look into the med.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am 5'9" and run a small bottlerocket and a medium blindside. I agree, if you are racing get a medium, for a gravity playbike, maybe the small

·
Registered
65 Posts
im 5' 7" with a small blindside with a 09 boxxer and funn direct mount stem...feels just right for me

i had a 07 bullit medium with a boxxer and it feels just a little too big but something i can cope with

you can get away with a small blindside and a longer stem probably

G

·
Not to derail this thread or anything but if anyone can answer this question it would be appreciated.

I'm a fairly short rider with a 30.5" inseam and I ride a size small '06 Dirtbag frame. I've always wanted to try out the Blindside but feel that even with the 30" standover, it still feels too tall for me. I was wondering if running a shorter eye to eye shock would not only slacken the head angle but effectively lower standover and BB height as well (shortening travel to around 7inches isn't a concern for me). I'm wondering if this is possible w/o screwing up the bike too much.

My point of reference being the Turner Highline, which can be ran in 7 to 8" of rear travel as well. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
i dont think using a shorter i2i shock will help that much...and...i dont know where you live but its pretty hard to get hard springs where i live...i wanted a 500# for my vivid but the hardest they have is 450# only...so now im stuck with saving up and ordering a ti spring online because shops/dealers here dont stock ti springs that fit rs vivid shocks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Dr Phil mmkay said:
Not to derail this thread or anything but if anyone can answer this question it would be appreciated.

I'm a fairly short rider with a 30.5" inseam and I ride a size small '06 Dirtbag frame. I've always wanted to try out the Blindside but feel that even with the 30" standover, it still feels too tall for me. I was wondering if running a shorter eye to eye shock would not only slacken the head angle but effectively lower standover and BB height as well (shortening travel to around 7inches isn't a concern for me). I'm wondering if this is possible w/o screwing up the bike too much.

My point of reference being the Turner Highline, which can be ran in 7 to 8" of rear travel as well. Thanks
I was wondering the same thing? Short shock it (8.5X2.5 a common size) get a little over 7" and with a 180mm single crown you would have slacker DH geo. ( Like it would being 8" front and rear) Sounds like a win win to me. Cali DH races are pretty smooth these days and have alot of pedaling.

G

·
AzN_devil said:
i dont think using a shorter i2i shock will help that much...and...i dont know where you live but its pretty hard to get hard springs where i live...i wanted a 500# for my vivid but the hardest they have is 450# only...so now im stuck with saving up and ordering a ti spring online because shops/dealers here dont stock ti springs that fit rs vivid shocks
I'm 5'6" at 125, finding a hard spring for the vivid would not be an issue with me. :)

m-dub said:
I was wondering the same thing? Short shock it (8.5X2.5 a common size) get a little over 7" and with a 180mm single crown you would have slacker DH geo. ( Like it would being 8" front and rear) Sounds like a win win to me. Cali DH races are pretty smooth these days and have alot of pedaling.
That's what I was thinking, the midatlantic downhill courses aren't really that burly. A full 8" of rear travel for someone of my size and skill level is pretty unnecessary and I could use a lower and slacker bike. A "lowered" BS with an air Roco out back and a Totem solo-air in front would make for a very flickable and fun bike on courses like Snowshoe and Wisp. The HA can be made even slacker if you use headsets like CC 110 or CK 1.5.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hmm...i actually like the HA of the blindside...its stable enough (or at least more stable than my old bike)

by the way...is it me or is the bike not exactly that pedal'able'
i have my low speed compression all the way up and it feels the same

G

·
AzN_devil said:
by the way...is it me or is the bike not exactly that pedal'able'
i have my low speed compression all the way up and it feels the same
How well do you want an 8" inch to pedal anyways? It's designed to go big and go down. :)

BTW: you guys notice the new cable mount being on the down tube now, leading to the chain stay? Looks like the guys over at TBC heard a few BS rider's gripes about cable routing. (for the new format, check out the sizing/geometry page).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dr Phil mmkay said:
How well do you want an 8" inch to pedal anyways? It's designed to go big and go down. :)

BTW: you guys notice the new cable mount being on the down tube now, leading to the chain stay? Looks like the guys over at TBC heard a few BS rider's gripes about cable routing. (for the new format, check out the sizing/geometry page).
mehh it feels horrible commuting on it...especially when you have to ride 30ish minutes to a bike store lol

the cable routing is horrible on the top tube..i didnt notice it was rubbing against the frame and had to replace my derailleur casing after a week..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.