Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
I like bikes
83 Posts
blind guy at Sea Otter

There was a blind guy who raced the DH course at Sea Otter this year with a spotter. I have no idea if it was the same guy. I saw him ride down an hour or so after my race.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Blind racer at Sea Otter

Psychos said:
There was a blind guy who raced the DH course at Sea Otter this year with a spotter. I have no idea if it was the same guy. I saw him ride down an hour or so after my race.
I think he might have been racing Sport 30-34, because I was there at the race start waiting for my race, when two guys take off out of the gate at the same time. The one in front is calling to the other, describing the terrain in one or two syllable bursts, and the follower is saying, "Go! Go! Go!..."
"What's going on?" I ask. "He's blind. He can only see shadows..." and then there was a wild cheer from the crowd as the word is passed back to us that he went off the ladder drop. :eek:
Wow.
How cool is that??

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Yeah that's crap, why would the guy need to crane his neck to see, when he could be much more comfortable looking strait down. There's no way it could be done on a downhill course. How would the spotter tell him where all the roots, rocks and smaller trail elements are?

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Wowsers it's true! That's pretty amazing!

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Maybe the guy has slight vision because the spotter is wearing a bright neon vest.

It doesnt matter to me anyway, I would love to shake that guys hand!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like the jump was from the Spring Thaw DH race in Ashland, Oregon. I was there and didn't hear anything about a blind racer...

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
I was ready to call BS until someone mentioned the front rider is the guide.
Full face helmet does not really hamper hearing, been wearing one for 25 year riding motorcycles, and if he had a microphone, you'd see the remote unit attached to the helmet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blind Mt. Bike Racer

That guy IS blind (legally, even profoundly, but not 100%). For example, he can't even read these posts. Those photos were indeed from Oregon, and the guy in the front is his spotter.

His name is Bobby McMullen and he's a freak. Great guy, races all over the place, lives in Redding, Calif.. He was just in Sports Illustrated Adventure and City Sports (an article that I wrote). WTB is his main sponsor, plus Santa Cruz and Balance Bar.

Its amazing what that guy can do...like, triathlons and stuff.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts