Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have Avid Mechs. and am considering a set of Juicy's (7), I have read that bleeding these things are a PITA. I'm mechanically capable, and can bleed the brakes on my car. I do all of my own bike repairs, as well as most car repairs-- could anyone offer any insight as to what's involved with bleeding. Not to sound offensive to those who have had problems bleeding, but is it just that they didn't know what they were doing? as I said take no offense-- as I don't know...

sorry if this has been posted before.
Thanks for any and all help

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
RaindogT said:
Hey all,

I have Avid Mechs. and am considering a set of Juicy's (7), I have read that bleeding these things are a PITA. I'm mechanically capable, and can bleed the brakes on my car. I do all of my own bike repairs, as well as most car repairs-- could anyone offer any insight as to what's involved with bleeding. Not to sound offensive to those who have had problems bleeding, but is it just that they didn't know what they were doing? as I said take no offense-- as I don't know...

sorry if this has been posted before.
Thanks for any and all help
It involves pushing fresh fluid from the caliper up through the lines to the lever. This pushes the old fluid out and releases any trapped air bubbles. Most people just have a difficult time getting all the air out of the system. It's really quite simple.

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks will

appreciate your quick feedback. This will not be the only deciding factor about the purchase, but it will have some persuasion. My BB's work just fine, I'm running full housing to the back with a nice lubricant in there, and the cables have zero resistance, but the brake itself just doesn't feel like a nice Hydro set-up... Leave well enough alone or upgrade for the sake of upgrading?-- that is the question...

But, it is nice to know that it doesn't take a phd in hydro-dynamics to bleed them.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I had the same debate a while back. Ended up getting a pair of Hayes HFX Mags. Great brakes. Master cylinder in the rear decided to take a break though. Rather than fixing it, I figure I'll pass it on for a decent price, and take a set of Juicy's off of my bud's hands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.