Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Special Lister
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to bleed my Avid Codes when my kit comes in and I have a question. I have Codes on the front and Juicy 5's on the rear. I see there is only 1 hole to thread the adaptor in the caliper on the 5's, but there are 2 on the Code( 1 on each side of the of the banjo). Do I need to do the process to both sides or are they connected in the caliper?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am no expert, because I have only owned my new bike (with CODE brakes) since last Thursday. Here is a quote from the "Avid Hydraulic Disc Brake Hose Length Adjustment & Bleed Guide": "The Code caliper features two bleed port screws on either side on the banjo fitting. It’s recommended that you use the bleed port on the left side of the banjo fitting during normal bleeding." Perhaps someone with more experience will explain why.

Mark

·
Registered
277 Posts
hi
i just shortened when hoses on some 08 codes
when I went to bleed (with the juicy bleed kit)
it say to turn the pad adjusters all the way out,so I did
I also removed the wheels and put the red plastic spacers in between the pads

well i did the whole procedure, but when I was done and reinstalled the wheel
the pads barely hit the rotor
It wasnt like that when they were new (pads only have 1 short ride)
I think the red spacers are too thick and push the pistons too far into the caliper

I also re-bled them, turning the pad reach adjustment all the way in before starting

Has anyone else had this problem?

I dont see any infor on avid's site about bleeding these

Should I just bleed them with the wheel/disc on the bike so the system can fill up with more fluid?
thx
G

·
Registered
277 Posts
what is "

well i took the pads out again and there's no way that red plastic piece will fill in the spaces

the tech manual says to use the appropriate bleed block
What is that?

Right now the pads are out and the pistons are fully pushed in
It makes sense not to have the pads in there
Can some cardboard or other material just be used to keep the pistons all the way in?

The different sram manuals say different things

I'm about to just put it all back together and bleed with the pads and wheel on and pad contact turned all the way out

·
Registered
277 Posts
just called sram, they said to do both halves of the caliper?

is that correct?
I didnt see that anywhere in the bleed instructions

I wonder if there any other threads about this, on this or other interweb places

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.