Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DHX air has got air in the damping oil and needs to be bled. I'm going to try to use a syringe to force oil through the port at the bottom of shock body through the system and then out the IFP resivoir.

The stroke is 2.00", at what depth should the IFP be set? Any other advice before I start?

Attachments

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Yowza!! That looks a bit complicated.. I would just send it to PUSH or FOX. Unless of course you are confident in the procedure.

Ohh.. How did you get a cross section picture of the shock? It is interesting to see what actually is going on in there.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm very confident that I can perform the rebuild, It seems to be a pretty straightforward task. Not to mention what having FOX rebuilt it will cost (PUSH doesn't do DHX airs). All I really need to know is at what depth to set the IFP and I should be good to go I think.

Also thinking of fabricating a bottomout bumper similar to the foam ones found on coil shocks, as I've broken FOX's pathetic little rubber oring that they use as a BO bumper in their air shocks. Anyone know if you can order the bumper straight from fox? The ID of the shafts is the same so there shouldn't be a problem there.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The little rubber o ring is just for measuring travel, not a bottom out bumper. I'm not sure what ifp depth your shock length needs but my 8.75 x 2.75 coil I set at about 34mm. As far as bleeding it, when I rebuilt my dhx coil I just pulled the hole thing apart and bought 2 quarts of oil and full submerged all the pieces and worked the air out and assemebled it under the oil. The oil in dhx coils is 10wt, im not sure if its the same for the airs. Fox will not tell you anything about rebuilding shocks, not even oil wt.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
He's talking about the internal o ring in the air chamber which is a bottom out bumper.

Now how do you know and how did you get air in the damper?

As far as filling it, use hose, like plumbing stuff to clamp around the body, progressively if you need couplers, then you'll be able to waste a minimal amount of oil.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I've got a 2" stroke DHXc that I've changed the oil in. The IFP should be set 28mm from the top edge to the IFP center bleed screw that sticks up a ways. I used Golden Spectro HVI Shock Fluid. The weight was "Very Light" which is about the same as the stock oil. Don't use fork oil because it'll break down too quick.

BTW, the bleed screw in the IFP makes setting the level really easy. The hardest part was getting the seal head off. You might have to build a soft jaws clamp to hold the body. I built one from a piece of hardwood 2X4.

Oh yeah, I used a couple of pieces of inner tube to extend the tubes when filling so I wouldn't get air in the shock. I didn't want to have to submerge the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, especially Danno for the IFP depth. Couldn't help myself from laughing out loud at the o-ring travel indicator comment.

Jerk_Chicken- I have no idea how exactly air got in there, but the damping (especially the initial stroke rebound) is noisy and feels inconsistent and notchy.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
dowst said:
Jerk_Chicken- I have no idea how exactly air got in there, but the damping (especially the initial stroke rebound) is noisy and feels inconsistent and notchy.
It may not be air, it may be broken down oil. You may get cavitation from too low pressure, or whatever, which will turn the oil into foamy crap. I had that happen to a Romic. I know the feeling you're referring too.

I guess you could also get some air past the seals if the pressure is zero and you cycle the shock.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
Anyone have a step by step process for rebuilding the dhx air?
I've got one that either has broekn down oil, or air in the oil. Either way the damping is just shot out of it now. It's not leaking.
I took it off and been using a different shock, but wouldn't mind tinkering with this one, instead of sending it back in to Fox for $150 of voodoo.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Internal14 said:
Anyone have a step by step process for rebuilding the dhx air?
I've got one that either has broekn down oil, or air in the oil. Either way the damping is just shot out of it now. It's not leaking.
I took it off and been using a different shock, but wouldn't mind tinkering with this one, instead of sending it back in to Fox for $150 of voodoo.
Check this out..
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201454&highlight=DHX+Air

Hope this helps...

Hey dowst have you looked into the R.S Vivid Drop Stop bottom out bumper.
It can be replaced without taking the shock apart.
I'm not sure what size the shaft is on the Vivid but "Who Knows" it might fit..:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts