Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Not without having to find some pretty rare bolts/screws. The calliper is a very small screw, which you would need to find with a hollow core........and with a barbed top to fit a hose onto.

Option 1 - buy the kit if you have multiple brake sets, or plan to have avids for a while.

2 - take to LBS. My avids need bleeding quite infrequently, so its good to have but I use it only occasionally. But I have 5 pairs of Avids
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
I hear a lot of people talking about bleeding their bike's brakes. Not sure why this seems to be done so often. Ideally if they were setup correctly (and I think avid's come with the hydraulic from the factory) you shouldn't have to bleed them unless you somehow get air in the system, or the fluid is very old (many years old).

Maybe I am missing something but I have never had a need to bleed mine...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jbsmith said:
I hear a lot of people talking about bleeding their bike's brakes. Not sure why this seems to be done so often. Ideally if they were setup correctly (and I think avid's come with the hydraulic from the factory) you shouldn't have to bleed them unless you somehow get air in the system, or the fluid is very old (many years old).

Maybe I am missing something but I have never had a need to bleed mine...
Yeah that is somewhat true, but not entireley. Iv found out its not all that hard to get air in them by riding hard in crappy conditions every day.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
wildkyle90 said:
Yeah that is somewhat true, but not entireley. Iv found out its not all that hard to get air in them by riding hard in crappy conditions every day.
Fluid should be replaced at least every 2 years, if you use your brakes allot the fluid breaks down due to heat, DOT is a water magnet. :rockon:
 

·
Recreational Racer
Joined
·
98 Posts
Avid recommends bleeding once a year and when you bleed Avid you essentially do a fluid change. I just did mine. A word of advice make sure the kit you buy has the correct bleeder block for your year brakes. Many people will tell you that that you don't need the bleeder block. I did my first bleed with out it and had no change in my braking performance and then did my second bleed with the bleeder block and it made a world of difference. Take a look at the SRAM tech videos on you tube. The videos differ from the bleed guide in sequence of steps but I did the front by the book and the back by the video and got the same results. Or... take it to your LBS and hope they care about your brakes as much as you do.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Joel. said:
Take it to your LBS and spend $5 for them to bleed it and save alot of money on the bleed kit.
Your shop charges $5 for a bleed? Nice....
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Joel. said:
Well it was something like $7.
When I saw your other post I realized that it had never really occurred to me to pay someone to do it for me. For $5 it seemed eminently reasonable, though. I have a need to do everything possible to build up and maintain my bikes myself for the most part; it's an obsession, but a good one :D
 

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
Joined
·
730 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
When I saw your other post I realized that it had never really occurred to me to pay someone to do it for me. For $5 it seemed eminently reasonable, though. I have a need to do everything possible to build up and maintain my bikes myself for the most part; it's an obsession, but a good one :D
+1 for DIY I do everything myself but lefty overhaul, which is why im not riding it right now on this beeeeutiful day

some things are easier done by those who know what they are doing...
 

·
Just Ride.
Joined
·
722 Posts
I would do it myself to but there is no way I'm paying $80 for a bleed kit when they don't need doing very often and I wont have these brakes ever again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
FWIW the Avid Bleed Kit is one of the best investments I have made and is the best bleed kit I've seen so far. I agree with supporting the LBS but I'd prefer to do the fine tuning of my brakes myself - take the bike in if you're not comfortable. If you want to make sure you're not wasting cash, in my opinion, the Avid kit is a very sound investment.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top