Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a Camelbak Chase vest that has a bladder for water. I also have a Banjo Brothers frame bag for my essentials. The frame bag blocks my ability to use a water bottle cage. I would like to try a hip pack and have a few options. Rides are mostly 2-4 hours.

1. Get a hip bag with a bladder and keep the frame bag.

2. Get a hip bag for a bottle and keep the frame bag.

3. Get a hip bag that holds a bladder and my essentials from the frame bag, get rid of the frame bag and put an additional water bottle on the frame.

4. Get a hip bag that holds a water bottle and my essentials from the frame bag, get rid of the frame bag and put an additional water bottle on the frame.

What are the pros/cons of bladder vs. bottle? Thanks!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,774 Posts
rides are 4 hours or less what do you need a frame bag for ? unless it's winter toss that thing and make room for bottles

pros cons of bladder vs bottle are pretty much some vehicle dynamics of carrying water on frame (extremely minor) and ease of taking a drink under all conditions or only some conditions. I use both anyway, camelbak and bottles ...bottles as emergency if I run the camelbak dry and if not, then bottles to rinse sweat off bike when I am done with the festivities

·
Registered
506 Posts
Big fan of the Dakine 2L. Gives the option to carry a bottle on the pack for longer rides and just the right size to carry the essentials without extra bulk. Haven’t worn a camelbak in years since switching. It feels great not to have weight on your shoulders.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The new Evoc Pro 3L can use a bladder and/or 2 bottles. I've ridden with the bladder only so far, and thought it was pretty great. Exceeded my expectations for stability, and it's very comfortable to wear with their new waist strap system. Eventually, I'll do a long ride and try the full load of bottles and bladder to see how that goes.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,184 Posts
After riding 200-300 miles per month for a few years, my water consumption went down so I've given up on carrying a bladder for the most part.

I typically bring one or two bottles for most rides other than when it is less than 20 F; greater than ~80-85 F or for all-day excursions where no water resupply is available.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Rides are mostly 2-4 hours.

Get a frame bag that mounts under the DT for your pump/tools/spares. Mount a bottle inside the frame. Drink a bottle on the way to the trailhead. For most rides that's all you would need.

If you are doing a particularly long/hot ride add a bottle on a minimal hip pack that you drink first on the ride so it's empty most of the time.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,179 Posts
I have posted this in other threads.

I have numerous bladdered options already. My goal is to go packless for all but the most epic rides. I have achieved that goal.

That said, there will be the odd time I want to bring a few extra things with me. I opted for a bottled hip pack for a number of reasons. First, I have 4 bladders already in my fridge and they are a bit of a PITA, compared to throwing a bottle in my bottle cage and on my hip pack. Especially a G2 bottle that I will recycle after. As well, a hip pack to me is meant to be minimalistic. Once it gets beyond that, best be looking at strapped packs that will provide more support, and end up with less load floppiness. There are other reasons too, at least for me.

I had all the major hip bags together at one time, so I could A/B them. The Bontrager Rapid was next level. Plain and simple. The only downside is its cost.

I would be shocked if anyone here in the know has anything bad to say about the Rapid.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
What bike are you riding? Why does the frame bag take up that much space?
Had the Dakine Hot Laps that held spare tube, two Co2 cartridges with top, and two pedros levers without issue and it was mounted high enough in the front triangle that it was out of the way. Could easily be moved elsewhere if needed. And still had enough room in triangle for larger water bottle.

New bike has less room but has a dedicated storage pack area (GG The Smash with Nutz strap). Has bosses for water bottle but with a coil shock with piggyback (RS Super Deluxe Coil) I can only fit a small water bottle in the location but can fit one.

The question is, how much water are you consuming on those rides? Normal 2-4hr ride I will consume about 2L of water, maybe less. Depends on time of year and how much riding I have been doing. Of course, beginning of the season sees more water consumption until body gets used to riding again (usually June-ish) and then starts to drop off some.

Originally had a EVOC Hip Pack Race 3L (bladder is 1.5L) which was nice but really the pack did not fit well on me and the straps were not easily adjustable. So recently switched to the Dakine Hot Laps 5L (bladder is 2L) and that was awesome on the one ride I have put on it. Feels same comfort wise as the EVOC, much MUCH more easily adjustable and plenty of room for spare tools.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,327 Posts
I use both.

One of my riding buddies has a half frame bag (similar to Revelate Tangle) that allows a bottle cage underneath it, too. He also puts a bottle inside it. And/or sometimes a beer or two. Keeps his tools & stuff in there, too so he can ride packless.

I tend to carry more than some, and prefer a pack. In cooler weather, my extras tend to be layers (with less water). In warmer weather like my area is getting now, I tend to fill my bladder. I'll throw my water filter in the pack for longer rides. I always have food in there. I also carry a larger first aid kit than most.

I'm considering doing a bit more on-bike storage of some things, though, so I can carry a smaller pack. The one thing about packs that I don't like in summertime is how warm they are. I like that about them in colder weather, though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Don't your preference for water temp, but I like mine super cold, so bottles just don't really work with our temps, can stuff the bottle full of ice and it's melted completely within an hour, hydration bladder in a proper insulated pack will stay cold for hours. For me, I'll take a bottle of electrolyte/drink mix in a bottle stuffed with ice, sometimes don't add water, just wait for ice to melt, sometimes add water, then I fill my 3L bladder with the appropriate amount of water and as much ice as possible, for the length ride I think I'll be doing.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts

·
orthonormal
5,245 Posts
I have three solutions, depending on weather and length of ride.

1. Under 1.5 hours, Dakine Hot Laps Gripper holds CO2, tire plugs, multitool, tire levers. One large water bottle on the bike.
2. 1.5-3 hours. Same as above but add Camelbak Repack LR4 with 1.5L bladder and spare tube. The Repack is great with one exception: It's a pain to replace the hose on the magnet while riding. Oh well.
3. 3+ hours. Replace the Repack with Osprey Raptor 10 with 3L bladder. Yeah, it's a backpack. For me, it's the easiest solution for longer rides.

·
slow
7,679 Posts
My first suggestion would be to agree with those who said to get rid of the frame bag and replace it with a small seat bag or strap under the seat to hold the items you need. If you insist on going with one of the other options, I would lean toward a solution that uses bottles instead of bladders in one way or another.

My bladders are not shaped well for frame bags or hip packs, so I prefer bottles except for long and hot days which require an over-the-shoulder pack. Also, I always have bottles laying around and get free ones from events, whereas replacement bladders are usually more of an investment.

One other consideration is a feedbag mounted to the handlebar for an additinal bottle, but that would depend on the type of riding you are doing.

(GG The Smash with Nutz strap).
On a side note, am I the only one read this too quickly and cringed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I always have a frame bag on my bike and just stick a water bottle or 2 in the frame bag. If I need more water, I’ll carry a bladder in my frame bag. The whole point of a frame bag is not to have to wear a backpack.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.