Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm overdue for a new ride posting.
Here we go:

The Blackwater Canyon Trail is a 10 mile long rail-trail that runs through the beautiful Blackwater Canyon from Thomas to Hendricks, West Virginia. It lies on the old rail bed of the West Virginia Central and Pittsburg Railway that was built through the canyon in 1888. The rail line was so steep that extra locomotives where stationed in Hendricks to help push trains up what was known as the Black Fork Grade. The trail drops 1229 feet over it's 10 mile length as it desends Backbone Mountain. This translates to a easy downhill coast on a bike and a good workout when going the other direction.

From the trail you can see both natural and historic sites. Douglas Falls, Lindy Point Overlook, Coketon Coke Ovens, Blackwater Canyon, Big Run Culvert, Canyon Point and the Blackwater River. Unfortunately both the trail and the canyon are endangered by logging and development. Be sure to support Friends of Blackwater Canyon if you want to help protect this most unique place.

One note: Since the ride itself is fairly short (10 miles) and uses a rail bed first laid in 1888 I've expanded the virtual ride with A LOT of local history.
Enjoy.

Fun Places To Bike In West Virginia
wvbike.org

FrankNbike
(Maker of Mellow Rides)

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
good stuff FrankNBike. love your website! i think i met you at the purple fiddle when you were doing this ride? (it was the day the power was out and you had ridden up from hendricks and made a pitstop?)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oldnoob said:
good stuff FrankNBike. love your website! i think i met you at the purple fiddle when you were doing this ride? (it was the day the power was out and you had ridden up from hendricks and made a pitstop?)
Hey oldnoob,
That was I.

To let the others in on the joke. I had parked at the bottom of the mountain in Hendricks and was biking up the trail to Thomas. It had turned into a rather warm spring day. So I'm working up a good sweat and telling myself that once I get to the top of the mountain I'll stop in at the Purple Fiddle and cool off with one of their hand dipped ice cream cones. They have the best ice cream around. Go a couple more miles uphill and now I want a double scoop. A couple more miles and now I want the biggest freakin' cone they got. Oh and that whole last mile I can just taste it.
So salivating I walk into Purple Fiddle and ask for the biggest cone they have.
"Sorry, the powers out. Want some warm beer?"

D'oH!!!!!!!

If you've ever seen "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" I think I know just how that guy felt at the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.