Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike setup is a 2005 Kona Coiler, presumably a 68mm bottom bracket. Crankset is an FSA Moto-X dual ring with a bash. In the granny gear the chain drags against the side of the bracket just above the roller. It's not an extreme amount of drag, but you can hear it a little which is annoying. Is this normal, or am I set up incorrectly? I have one spacer between the frame and the stinger.

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
I have a Stinger on my Enduro and I'm pretty sure mine slightly rubs in the small ring up from similar to yours. Like you said it isn't a lot but enough to be annoying. I think if you take the spacer out the guide mine be shifter too far "in". My solution was force my legs to be stronger and keep it in the big ring more.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don't ride in the granny a ton anyway, it would just be nice to not have it annoy the fawk out of me when I do. You're right on the spacer.. if I take it out to reposition it I believe it will be too far in and have incorrect spacing. Maybe it's just something I'll have to deal with. Considering how inexpensive this thing is and how well I *think* it's going to work for me I'll just quit my complaining.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue isn't with my bike though, there are no complications with the swingarm or anything. The issue is with my FSA crankset I guess. I wonder if I could make a couple of really thin shims to space it out a bit?

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Did the same as nick, a little custom bending and all is right with the world. At least until I drag it across another rock or log...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
They do make 1mm bb shims, so I guess you could +/- shim it for some extra clearance, but really, it would be easier just to swap the position of the 5mm shim and the stinger and run the Stinger more inward. But doing this might affect the chains ability to jump onto the top portion of the roller when in granny. You won't know till you try.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine rubbed for a while until the chain finally made it's own path. This was after I had the LBS fix the cranks 3 times. Then somone finally realized the Race Face Cranks were missing a bolt that holds it all together. I was blaming the Black Spire up to that point. Now everything works great.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I have an E-13 and it rubs a little aswell. I had to use a dremel to take some meterial out. The Blackspire is better in my OP for price and function.

And as 1 poster has already said, they are designed to work on a VERY wide variety of bikes there fore the fit will not be perfect for EVERY bike, so that just something to ponder when bashing the balls out of a product.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.