Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in trying the blackspire stinger on my hardtail, from mtbr recommendations, but I see it only guides the chain off the bottom of the chainring. Is that all that is needed to keep the chain secure or am I missing something. I have only tried the SRS and DRS but I have often thought that the top guide isn't that important as the rear mec is the moving mechanism and the chain between cassete and chainring should stay fairly unchanged - on a hardtail.

maybe a dumb question but thats how one learns when living in the middle of nowhere and ordering online:confused:

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
The Stinger is about the most basic guide out there but it works surprisingly well. If you're planning to use 2 rings then the front der. is all that guides the upper (also use a bash ring though). If you're going single ring then you may need to do something else (like a jumpstop or similar device). Which way are you planning to run it? 2 ring or 1...

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not know it was a double chainring device. I will probably run a single as there is not much climbing and most DJ and freeride forecasted for this bike. I will probably have to go LG1 or SRS.

Cheers for the info before I wasted cash

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mistake, I just remembered that the LG1 doesn't run with a bashguard. I also dont fancy the taco. From what I have heard it puts stress on the frame when impacts occur, particularily if the taco is mounted to the frames tabs.

Back to the drawing board.

·
Freetard.
670 Posts
juan pablo said:
My mistake, I just remembered that the LG1 doesn't run with a bashguard. I also dont fancy the taco. From what I have heard it puts stress on the frame when impacts occur, particularily if the taco is mounted to the frames tabs.

Actually, I heard from Dave Weagle himself (he was posting on these forums) about that particular problem. He was addressing the fact that Santa Cruz refuses to warranty bikes with taco style guards. The basic gist of his post was that the bolts used to connect the bash guard with the rest of the system were made of a far weaker material than your bicycle frame. What this means in a crash is that the bolts break off and your frame remains intact.
Here's the original thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=417116
Scroll down to see what DW has to say.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
I had the stinger on my SX and it dropped the chain a few times. Plus the chain jumped around like an insane mongoose. and we all know what that's like.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
juan pablo said:

If you're worried about the taco putting too much stress on your frame then run the LG1 guide with taco using the BB shell ISCG adapter. That way if you really smack your taco hard it will put stress on the adapter and possibly the BB. If you hit your taco hard enough to cause that much damage then damn...

I just run the guide on my mounts. I don't hit my taco too much anyway...

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yip
I was advised to mount the taco to the BB. I prefer the LG1 cause the chain is nicely expossed for cleaning and its a nice neat finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.