Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing price point and saw a Blackspire Stinger chainguide for $22.00 that mounts to the bottom bracket. It mounts a chainguide just under the chainring. I'm setting up a new AM HT as a 1x9. I have a short cage XT derailer already and was gonna go with the bashguard/Ngear jump stop setup but saw this. Plus I think it will handle my jumping alot better and look clean. Anyone use this Guide before? http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=15288&style_id=075 BLAST6

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
I have one set up 2x9, bb mount type. to have it set up 1x9 I would recommend their inner ring guide to go with it. It basically makes a "chain-sandwich" between the inner guide and the bash ring, stinger keeps the chain tensioned.

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
An e-type is recommended because the stinger is goes between the frame and the bb, and is roughly 2.5mm thick so you need to accommodate for that thickness. If using a hollowtech II crankset (or similar) then you can simply adjust the spacers to make it fit. That said I am running an old school octa-link bb thats not e-type and it works fine but I will be changing it out in the near future

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
greengreer said:
I have one set up 2x9, bb mount type. to have it set up 1x9 I would recommend their inner ring guide to go with it. It basically makes a "chain-sandwich" between the inner guide and the bash ring, stinger keeps the chain tensioned.
This thing didn't work out too well for me with my particular crankset (older-style RaceFace XC).....the gap between the middle-chainring and the blackguard was still just wide enough that my chain would fall off and get stuck in there.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.