Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to mount a stinger on my new EG build. I have Race Face cranks with only the preload elastomer on the non-drive side (no spacers on the cup) and one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side cup with just the preload elastomer on that side as well. With the stinger mounted on the 05 ISCG tabs, (with no spacers) the granny chainring bolts rub on the plate. I tried adding another cup spacer on the drive side which solved the rubbing issue but now when I torque on the crank bolt the bearings bind up, so I cant bottom out the crank arm bolt which you have to do on RF cranks. I guess I am screwed because there is no way to space this correctly with the 73mm wide bb. Any ideas? On another note, anyone attempting this install should be careful because the stock bolts supplied with the stinger are too long and will dent the frame on the top iscg hole.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont see the point?

geolover said:
Sucker...;)
I've had these since Sept 2005 and have had zero problems with them and remarkably enough the finish has held up superbly. I replaced the stock BB with an Enduro a few years ago and it is still as smooth as the day I got it, I repack it a couple times a year, it has been flawless.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
craigstr said:
I've had these since Sept 2005 and have had zero problems with them and remarkably enough the finish has held up superbly. I replaced the stock BB with an Enduro a few years ago and it is still as smooth as the day I got it, I repack it a couple times a year, it has been flawless.
I was kidding you....maybe the winking emoticon doesn't show up on your computer?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the emoticon

I still thought you were bashing my cranks. So did some measuring and currnetly the chainline is at 51.5 mm with the second 2.5mm cup spacer which means I am at 49 mm without it which is what caused the rubbing becasue you need to run 50mm with the Stinger. I'm going to try and pull the second 2.5mm spacer and add a 1mm spacer between the bearing cup and crankarm and see how that works. I used to run the 49mm chainline on the ML to reduce the front der. rubbing.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It didnt work

SEA_MTBR said:
Any luck with the Blackspire Stinger? I see you don't have it on yet. I was thinking about buying the ISCG 05 version vice the bb type. Is it worth it? The chain slap is annoying.
I couldnt shim the cranks out far enough for the chain to clear the backplat. I read some other problems with stingers and RF cranks, I might try the bb version if the chain slap bothers me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.