Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my CAD from James on my HighLight. Did anyone who owns a BS have this issue due to the curve in the TT :rolleyes:

Standover height is the concern. I have the perfect amount of standover clearance on my current 17.5" GF Paragon at 29.9" and the Blacksheep is showing 32.8051" how would I have any clearance considering my inseam - Ouch! concerned about the boys

Everything else seems fine.

Any opinions welcome - expecially from current BS owners on their experience :confused:

Brandon 448, brontotx, mateomtb, miSSionary, Francois ?? Bueller, Beuller, Anyone ?

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
I just got my CAD yesterday for a HighLight. My standover is gonna be no problem because I have like 38" inseem - FREAK! What did James say when you brought up the concern? He should be able to do some things to bring that TT down a bit, I would think. Give him a call and see if he can't adjust it a tiny bit to make sure your jewels are accounted for. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am waiting on my drawing from James and may be in the same boat. I have always been on bike with standover around 29-30". I am thinking the curved TT will bring that up a bit. I will post again when I get it.

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
Don't worry Mello call James and talk to him about your concerns and he will address them!! I changed my TT length because my measurements spit out a 24.1" TT!! I have never ridden a 24" TT at most a 23.5" usually a 23.1 to 23.3 and we compromised on a 23.5" TT. As far as standover I have about a 33.5" inseam and my cad in the middle topped out at 33.5 and low point of 29.3 and I have no stand over issues....

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brandon, when you say you have no standover issues, do you have any room - if your inseam and the standover are the same measurement aren't you right on top of the tube when you stand over. My concern is when you have to step off the bike a couple inches helps. Let me know. Thanks - by the way, i dig your bike!

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
I have atleast an 1 or 2 inches it seems when ever I step off the bike staddling the top tube... I just rode a tight twisty trail here called the Tapeworm today in the snow and never once touched my nuts on the top tube. Thanks for the complement on the bike I just got Middleburns and I am just waiting on my Boone ring to put them on.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
mello211,
Yes, call James and voice concern. My new ti bike is a 26" Highroller. When I put 29" wheels on it my standover is bad but the bike is perfect standover with 26". I don't mind the standover being bad as all my previous SS bikes had none. So yes, mine is bad but it is not the fault of James. The bike is perfect for me and this compromise is due to larger wheels than the build was spec'd at. If I had it to do over I would still have my bike set the way it is now but not many would like it that way if they were set on a wheel size. FreakyC and Mateo are not having these issues at all. Good luck!:D

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I hope to speak with James soon and get the adjustments made for the standover height. He's great about answering the phone, not as quick with the emails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mello211,

Just wondering how everything worked out. I just received my drawing and have the same issue. Did James make any changes? I wonder how much can actually be done. If you could let me know, I would appreciate it.

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out that James sent me someone else's CAD (I'm sure he is getting busy and email is not his thing - innocent mishap). He sent me mine and it still needed to be tweaked - my biggest concern was TT standover. I did a spreadsheet comparing his specs to my current GF Paragon (that fits me to a tee) and reviewed everything with him yesterday. James said he didn't want my new bike to have less standover clearance than all the other bikes in my stable so he is making the adjustment down to 29.9 thus matching my GF. We also made some other tweaks to the measurements. I am also going to have him build me a bar and seatpost and some other fun stuff!

James is the man :D After my discussions with him, I have nothing but full confidence in his ability to deliver :thumbsup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Same issue, resolved perfectly

I had the same exact concern when I got my CAD drawings. My current Mooto X had more standover and I didn't feel I had any room to go higher. James and I talked and agreed to lower the junction of the tt and the st so that 2" of st were sticking up over the tt. That, plus the curved tube is lower the further back you go on the tt. I have been riding mine tons since I got it and have had no issues w/ anything at all on the bike.

Attachments

·
uh, or something!
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good to hear. me likey your rig

how did you guys make out with tire clearance? James says that he really figured out how to manipulate the tubes to allow ample clearance to even fit a WTB 2.55LT. I don't doubt him.

Any photos showing tire clearance ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mello211,

How funny is that. I think he sent you my drawing. How did you find out it was not yours? I am working with James on my numbers now. So he was able to go to a 29.9 on standover? Is that at the same point that was 32.8? Out of curiosity, how long is your head tube and top tube now? Fork Length? Since he was using a 3.75" head tube, it is hard to imagine bringing the SO down nearly 3". What were the other TT to ground measurements he has on your CAD? My drawing also seems a bit longer than any bike I have had in the past. I may put together a spreadsheet from my old bikes as well.

By the way, what is the spec on the bar you are getting? I am getting the whole Black Sheep package as well.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am wondering what my options are. Get some ideas before calling on Monday.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mello211:

I am glad to hear you worked things out with James. My experience with him is that he will gladly listen to and address any concern of yours - he really is a great builder that strives to make sure you get what YOU want. Personally, I no longer send James any e-mails - I simply call him and when we need to exchange drawings, we do it via fax.

My BS Highroller has a 34" stand over and I have a 35" in-seam (crotch to floor, barefoot). While that seems a tad tight for the boys shall we say, mtb shoes add a bit more breathing room and I haven't found it to be a problem (MiSSionary's use of 29" wheels in a 26" frame is certainly testament to that!).

In regard to your question about WTB's 2.55 tires, I don't have personal experience with this particular tire. "Monster" tire clearance wasn't/isn't that important to me, so I didn't specify anything in this regard when I had my frame made. Nevertheless, while I think the WTB 2.55 would fit, it would be tight. I have WTB 2.1s and they have ~5/16" side clearance and the inside of the chain stays measure ~2-5/8". I did read somewhere here on mtbr that the 2.55s are more 2.3-like in size. Anyway, if fitting this specific tire is important to you, I suggest you let James know and he will make sure they will work on YOUR bike. Of course, when going for wide tires, you will need to consider chain stay interference with chain rings, proper chain line, etc.

Good luck and happy trails!

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
My BS Ti Highlight with S&S couplers Paragon dropouts, Ti seat post, Ti handlebar, Ti unicrown fork, and S&S hard case cost me $4325.00. Ouch it really hurts to see that number in print.... But I tell you what I just got done with a ride this morning and it zips around tight, twisty, rooty, fun singletrack. I love it! I do not regret the buy at all! And James is an AWESOME builder I would recomend him to ANYONE hands down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.