Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Two words: Carvins Cove. Other trails are in the area, but Carvins is a must ride. Check these boards for a plethora of information on it. Don't ride it after rain, as the lower trails take a while to dry out in the spring, and nasty rutting will happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Pandapas Pond is right there in Blacksburg (or just outside I think). It's my understanding that they are higher level trails, but I've never ridden there.

I agree that Carvin's Cove is a must ride. It's about 30 minutes or so from Blacksburg, but well worth the trip. I ride there at least once a week during the slow season, and 3-4 times during the riding season.

Let me know when you'll be here and I'll see if I can't work up a guide or two for you.

I know someone who lives right at Pandapas Pond, and I can guide at Carvin's Cove. Then again, you may want to ride with someone a bit faster than I am. I'm only riding once a week for the last few months, so my fitness level is way down from what it should be.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,886 Posts
thedawg28 said:
Im going to be in Blacksburg for a week somewhere near the middle of March. Whats my riding options?
Pandapas is right outside of Blacksburg, I think part of it is actually in Blacksburg. From some part of town it is a 10 minute bike ride to the closer end. The main lot is 5 minute drive from my house. It is pretty good for two shorter rides or one sort of long ride. The trail system consists of two ridges and the valley between. The Brush Mt side has a fire road along the top with trails leading down to the valley (poverty creek). They are pretty fun, and several are somewhat technical and steep with some half decent drops and launches. One trail leads off the far side towards town, and is a great downhill. The other side (Gap Mt) are a lot of trails traversing the side of the mountain and are often really rocky. They are awesome if you like the challenge of rock gardens.

Carvins Cove is about 40-50 minutes from Blacksburg, depending on where you are. Not as technical as Pandapas, but the downhills are longer. Much more trail mileage wise, and the variety of trail "styles" is impressive. Everything from challenging "old school" trails to newer "flowy" trails. A very beautiful place to ride as well with a broad range of terrain and scenery. It is a must if you are in the area. I live 5 minutes from Pandapas and 40 minutes from Carvins cove, and I ride at the Cove more often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Im not sure when we are headed there, waiting on stepdaughter to have baby, anytime! Im going to bring both XC and road bike just in case its too wet. I need to ride daily while im there. LOL.
More importantly....LOL....Lets talk about the above mentioned rock drops and launches!! I live in north Missouri, we dont have alot of this action!! Im a 40yr old sport racer so dont be pushing me down some big a$$ mountain. J/K. I better gets some new brake pads on the Top Fuel before I head over.
MightyDingus----I will ride with anybody, i dont care what fitness level you are. I just like to ride my bike.
I will post here when we head out of Missouri and hopefully can hook up for some rides.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,886 Posts
thedawg28 said:
Thanks for all the replies. Im not sure when we are headed there, waiting on stepdaughter to have baby, anytime! Im going to bring both XC and road bike just in case its too wet. I need to ride daily while im there. LOL.
More importantly....LOL....Lets talk about the above mentioned rock drops and launches!! I live in north Missouri, we dont have alot of this action!! Im a 40yr old sport racer so dont be pushing me down some big a$$ mountain. J/K. I better gets some new brake pads on the Top Fuel before I head over.
MightyDingus----I will ride with anybody, i dont care what fitness level you are. I just like to ride my bike.
I will post here when we head out of Missouri and hopefully can hook up for some rides.
There are some AWESOME road rides out of Blacksburg, assuming you are OK with a lot of hills. The scenery is spectacular when you get back into the really remote areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont mind hills at all. I actually need them right now. I only have room for 2 bikes to bring so Im bringing my mountain bike and the wifes Trek Madone. SO hopefully no one laughs at me for riding a girls bike!:D I hope its not a sign.....her roadie bike fits me better thatn mine. We may be coming sooner than I thought!
 

·
Cardboard Box
Joined
·
20 Posts
I moved out here recently, and while I haven't biked Pandapas yet, I've trail run it on several occasions. Never came across anything too technical, and most of the trails are pretty wide too. I used to live in Columbia, MD, so Patapsco was my go-to ride spot. Much more gnarly terrain out that way in some sections.

My advice - if you're in the 'burg and want close, Pandapas should be good.
 

·
Cardboard Box
Joined
·
20 Posts
Currently, they're much too wet to ride. We had a good bit of rain this past week, and it has been raining steadily all day today, and probably into tomorrow. Going to need at least 3 days straight of sunny and 50+ to get them dry enough to ride without damaging them.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,886 Posts
hahaderekface said:
I moved out here recently, and while I haven't biked Pandapas yet, I've trail run it on several occasions. Never came across anything too technical, and most of the trails are pretty wide too..
Have you been on Gateway, Hairball, Jacobs Latter (the bottom section), or Prickly Pear?

EDIT: I just realized the context in which you were making that comment. Yes, there are plenty of trails to ride if you don't want really technical riding, and all the launches are optional, anyway. Just stay off of Jacobs Ladder, (Hairball is unmarked, so you will likely not find it). You can always walk the rock gardens on the Gap side.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,886 Posts
thedawg28 said:
Ok thats what I figured, Im bringing road bike along as well because im riding one way or the other.
I'm not even considering riding anywhere on Saturday (I'll do road instead). I'll see what Sunday is like, but it is raining enough last night, today, and tomorrow that we are looking at the possibility of some real flooding around here. I'll likely go out to Carvins Cove to do some trailwork, but I am guessing it will be a very wet mess to ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Im here with a crap load of rain. Any group road rides this weekend out of Blacksburg. Im actually in Christiansburg but will travel to ride. Im staying all next week also. Maybe I can go on Garmin Connect and upload a local ride.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,886 Posts
thedawg28 said:
Well Im here with a crap load of rain. Any group road rides this weekend out of Blacksburg. Im actually in Christiansburg but will travel to ride. Im staying all next week also. Maybe I can go on Garmin Connect and upload a local ride.
I hope you made it out to Carvins Cove today. I wish I could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got out and rode Pandapas Pond today. I can tell you this if Carvins Cove is more fun than that I will never be able to wipe the grin off my face. I had a blast. The climbing is more than Im use to and learned that a Missouri boy needs more than 2 bottles of water in VA. Got in 20 miles and still grinning as I sit here enjoying a Road Dog Porter! I want to get back out there, today I climbed Snake Root but looks like it would be a blast descending.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,886 Posts
thedawg28 said:
I got out and rode Pandapas Pond today. I can tell you this if Carvins Cove is more fun than that I will never be able to wipe the grin off my face. I had a blast. The climbing is more than Im use to and learned that a Missouri boy needs more than 2 bottles of water in VA. Got in 20 miles and still grinning as I sit here enjoying a Road Dog Porter! I want to get back out there, today I climbed Snake Root but looks like it would be a blast descending.
Looks like if you are going to hit the Cove tomorrow you ought to do it early. Forecast is a 40% chance of rain, mostly after 2pm.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top