Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the new Blackburn System X lights?

LBS let me take the X3 home to charge and try. So I charged it this evening and I am very impressed just playing around in the back yard!! Sorta scared to take it for a real ride as I have not paid for it or anything. Thinking real hard about taking the X3 back tomorrow and purchasing the X6 instead.

Anyone else tried them yet?

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
The X3 is a great light for the money. As long as your LBS gave it to you to try out you might as well take it for a spin. I think that you would be happy either way but go for the X6 if you can. It gives you a wide beam and a spot beam for good vision. :)

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
Rotary16 said:

LBS let me take the X3 home to charge and try. So I charged it this evening and I am very impressed just playing around in the back yard!! Sorta scared to take it for a real ride as I have not paid for it or anything. Thinking real hard about taking the X3 back tomorrow and purchasing the X6 instead.

Anyone else tried them yet?
Do you know if they are better than halogen? I was curious about them too.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
Rotary16 said:
Got one! An X3, that is.

It rocks. For $150 bucks (and even it cost $100 more--seriously), it's the best light I could find.

Compare it to a fancy $300 HID system (go to a shop that sells both, at night, at take 'em outside). I think the X3 is as bright as many lights costing twice the price. The battery time is as advertised (4 hrs on full strength!); it comes with bar and head mounts. I've used it in rain (no problems); and Blackburn has a limited lifetime warranty.

I'm not sure about the X6, though. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with the X6, don't both the lights hook up to the same battery?!? I think that means you're stuck with a flood light and a spot light all on your bar, or helmet (bummer).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X6 Works great!!!

Took the New X6 out this evening and these things are great!! Ran them on full power (both lights) for about an hour and a half with no problems. Granted it was mostly on a MUT with some single track thrown in, but there is no doubt that these are all the light I will ever need. With the halogen lights I have, I found myself wanting the light to go a little further down the trail, but alas, it could not. Did not get that feeling with the Blackburns, light was more than adequate.

The only drawback with the X6 system is that it comes with only one battery and that prevents one from mounting one light on your bars and the other on your helmet. I guess I could use the old NightPro for that though huh?

Very pleased with the quality of hardware and connectors as well. Battery case seems to be well made and mounts very securely thanks to wide and long velcro strap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.