Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
advice if you please....

built up a dt 440 hub with 82 mm between flanges (150mm hub). spoke holes are 2.8mm, so i used brass washers with the supercomp spokes.

it wasnt easy to set the spoke heads, i had to use a punch. after building i noticed there is some slight fading/annodizing rub at the bends of the spokes. It built well (stans flow 29er) and is all within 10% of 100kgf with no issues when detensioning.

Should i assume the flanges and the washers forced too much of a bend in the spoke and rebuild? or could the discolouration simply be from the effort it took to get the spoke bend through the washer/flange?

any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
i dont think spoke washers were necessary in this case. looks like you had to bend the spokes quite a bit to set them into place. the discoloration is from stretching the spoke on the outside of the bend. the new steel exposed is not coated. as far as durability goes no clue. could last forever or not.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah...looking at that photo zoomed in it does look a little cracked...

hmmm! the reason ffor the odd pairing of spoke and hub:the hub is a 150mm wide/wide flange spaced hub with a singlespeed freehub body. its for a specific bike, that wont require heavier duty spokes. hence the odd couple...

think i might rebuild it without the washers...

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
You didn't need washers with this combo.

I think the combo of that hub with SC's and a Flow is bomber--even for a clyde.

But I'd relace it sans washers, and I'd spring for fresh spokes too.

MC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.