Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know dumb topic..but still curious.

All my life the only time I put black socks on is if I have to wear dress shoes **YUCK**!!!

SO why does this sport love black socks so much?
Just about every photo in mountain bike mags, You tube, google images..search mounting bike gear... get black socks..blah!

The only purpose I see would be to hide the dirt..pffft I love the dirt all over me..when I crash I don't brush it off..the wind can do that LOL

Thoughts?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Because black hides the stains? Have other colors but don't know why most are black. The only white pair that I have after one ride have brown spots all over.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol ~ I suspect it's the dirty look issue...well I don't own any black socks but thoes thinner dress shoe socks I spoke of..I guess I'll have to be a Dirty White Boy...LOL

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
Dirt. White socks will all eventually be stained brown.

G

·
I think black socks and black shoes started with European Dress shoes and socks (honestly), but I have no idea why we're still stuck on black shoes and socks. My road shoes are red/silver and my mtb shoes (both pairs) are black because that's what they had. I where whatever socks, but they all look like crap after about four rides.

Black shorts were essential in the days of black leather saddles (other colors would have stained).

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Huh. Interesting observation.

Thinking about it, I have a lot of black socks that I wear during the winter, when it's cold. I have a bit broader variety of colors in lighter-weight socks, but they're still all dark.

All the socks I wear on purpose for MTB are wool. Maybe it's just easier to get consistent colors if they're dark?

·
Registered
14,871 Posts
I don't own any white socks. Hate the cotton and like A.S. said the wool ones usually only come in earth tones or dark colors. Black seems to be currently hip.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Dirt. White socks will all eventually be stained brown.
Eventually? Usually after 1 ride. lol

I stopped wearing white socks and don't buy any white gear no matter what the deal I get on it is. Except for the helmet, I do have a white helmet but that is different.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Stupid router ate my post.

Most of my jerseys are mostly white. My team requests that we wear them as much as possible, they're good quality, and I don't destroy a jersey every year. But it's annoying. I'm not interested in hand washing, so they get stained by the end of the year. Meh, once I've been riding for a couple miles, I doubt anyone can distinguish last week's stains from this ride's dirt.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Clearly black socks.
They are lighter,
more aero since they tend to be thinner, and less tension as the air passes around the material's fibers.
There is reason all pros ride with black socks.

In seriousness, I like black socks cuz the Costco whites ones are too thick for my sweaty feet. Don't like pure cotton socks.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! Yeah I found non cotton socks breathe and my feet are dryer...
Thanks for the replys all!!
RIde!!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Cause when you go to the store looking for sport socks, the only choice is black or white. And white look like crap after a couple uses.

·
passed out in your garden
2,844 Posts
"once you black, you never go back"

Just say NO kiddies

·
Here, diagonally!
2,097 Posts
Even better with sandals.
I have black mid-length socks for MTB, but this summer I decided I'm going to start wearing them with sandals and tennis shoes. Why? I don't really know, maybe it's just something old men need to do and I'm getting to that age.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Black blends in better if you've gotta hide it away after making an emergency sock puppet cuz that breakfast burrito starting doing tricks miles from a trailhead and you never restocked the little ziplock with some TP you usually carry after a buddy had hit you up with a desperate plea for the old 'mountain money' a few rides back.

*Not that I'm promoting littering or anything, but sometimes you just gotta bury a man where he falls.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts