Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I have some BSMM bars on there way and would love to see some pics of set up / taping / angle and especially where people are running brake and gear shifters. I have been using Ergons for the past few years but have been thinking double wrap or silicone thin grips under tape. They are going on a BS ST fully geared for now.

Please post me some pics some l can get it right the first time.

Cheers

JD

·
rigid bruce
179 Posts
I recently put together an OS Blackbuck with Blacksheep Mountain Moustaches. Used ESI chunky silicone grips. This is an excellent combo. The bars are great. As far as setup, I first did them like in most photos, with the brakes well inboard. I quickly moved them out a couple of inches. With the grips tight up against the levers, the other end of the grips stops about two inches short of the end of the bar. This puts the me partly on the curves when in braking position. The outside, meaty part of my palm is on the curve, the channel where the ulnar nerve runs isn't. Works excellent this way. When cruising around I usually have my hands out at the ends of the bars. These bars are nice and compliant, super wide and make for a comfortable, stable platform. 5 out of 5 stars.

bruce b..... my other bars are Jones H-bars

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great

Thanks GLG l have been through the Black Sheep Thread, really after advice from experience. Rigid that is perfect mate many thanks. Any problems getting brakes and shifters (sorry -yes shifters) around the bends? ESI will work well. Thinking of cutting them in half and using it under tape it increase the diameter (have big hands) or even a small piece under tape to accent the hallow/ ball of my hand. Been using Ergons and like the way they disperse pressure over a greater area. Will try a few different ways and post you a pick. Think l will put them closer to the bends as well.
Thanks for the feedback
JD

·
Tulsa
1,085 Posts
repost

I've run them (brakes) inboard with the shorter fork, it was quick enough I didn't ride with my hands out while cornering or going down tough tech stuff, thinking on trying them further out with the longer Carbon fork I have on there now.

and chunkies instead of these thinner ESIs

·
Registered
138 Posts
2 styles of MM bars

Here are a few pics of 2 pair I have. The first pic is my old ones, now on my wifes one9 and the next 2 are my new bars w/integrated stem
. mm bars 001.jpg

mm bars 003.jpg

mm bars 004.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are great bars ! Everyone is going to ask how you get through the trees, but I've never really had a problem, even on xc coarse's. The bend on the bar tends to brush past trees if you do clip one where a 'normal' bar might tend to dig in. Try double wrapping the bar tape too for extra comfort and a thicker grip.

Attachments

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone great pics and feedback. I suppose you cant get shifters or brakes around the bends and only split clamps will work. Not sure what to do with my XTR triggers - perhaps l can pry them apart enough to get them through.
SOSLO you must be in OZ with that Cleanaway dumpster holding up your stunning BS - what part - guessing Brisbane - trees in background.
JD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, Brisbane. Took those shots at Bunya.
I've never tried putting gear shifters on but I did get some old Avids on and broke the one piece clamp getting it off again. Wouldn't recomend it. Two piece clamps are the go.

·
I am right!
142 Posts
Ti BS bars eh? you dirty dog! Was the frame not enough? This better be the 'last' bike you ride or i'm calling the nut house in :nono:

You'll be right with the shifters. The avid clamp above would have broken as they are cast steel/alloy and pretty thick. The xtr lever is alloy i think, so should pry apart enough to get them on without breaking them. If i had two hands, i'd help!

I've got some ti anti seize grease here somewhere too. You can take it.

I loved that that tape you had on the Jones bar. Looked like an 80's tennis racket but felt great. do that again for sure.

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How the hell

Piker said:
Ti BS bars eh? you dirty dog! Was the frame not enough? This better be the 'last' bike you ride or i'm calling the nut house in :nono:

You'll be right with the shifters. The avid clamp above would have broken as they are cast steel/alloy and pretty thick. The xtr lever is alloy i think, so should pry apart enough to get them on without breaking them. If i had two hands, i'd help!

I've got some ti anti seize grease here somewhere too. You can take it.

I loved that that tape you had on the Jones bar. Looked like an 80's tennis racket but felt great. do that again for sure.

How the hell did you find me here. My voice of reason / sanity. No the bars were part of the deal. No price reduction but some beautiful bars.
Going to do ESI thins under tape (Brooks if l can get it) and yeah l think l will get the shifter over but will run it SS in time.
Arrives tommorow and BSC are building it up for me (headset press and cut my steerer). Got some Hive cranks for the DWL.
You must have cabin fever by now. Maybe l should come out on the weekend and take you to the pub.
JD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts