Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
Righttt... Because all those Ti tubes are probably free to the builder. And I imagine that much welding and bending would take zero time and skill whatsoever. I wish these handbuilt pieces of art were more in line with Specialized Rockhopper pricing.

Beautiful bike.. can't wait for the full interview! Thank you francois for all your work!
 

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Beautiful craftsmanship but I don't care for the frame and fork together. I just don't think the cantilever frame style translates very well as a mountain bike frame. The Lynskey from NAHBS is the best looking one I've seen yet. Maybe it's the paint that does it for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
JSD303 said:
Righttt... Because all those Ti tubes are probably free to the builder. And I imagine that much welding and bending would take zero time and skill whatsoever. I wish these handbuilt pieces of art were more in line with Specialized Rockhopper pricing.
My comment was based on the seemingly steep increase in the price of the Black Sheep frame. I have looked at their site and the High Roller- which is similar to this cruiser- save for a few less tubes, is going for $2500- $3000. I can only guess the retail of the fork to be around $1200-$1500 based on the amount of material used. I am not diminishing James work or his skills as a builder, just questioning the seemingly steep price increase.

Maybe it is to compete with the Lynskey cruiser that was introduced at last years NAHBS. JSD303 we all know where your allegiance lies based on your avatar, but no need to take it personally when someone questions a builders pricing, (especially when it is a builder you happen to be riding) but at least Jeff figured a way to reduce the price of his frames.

$6000, or not, it is still a great looking bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
el-cid said:
Beautiful craftsmanship but I don't care for the frame and fork together. I just don't think the cantilever frame style translates very well as a mountain bike frame. The Lynskey from NAHBS is the best looking one I've seen yet. Maybe it's the paint that does it for me.
I am confused, I don't see a cantilever on that frame. Explain.

I am a little sad that I didn't know this was in the works, I just took delivery of my highroller verylight 2 months ago. I think I would have ordered this one instead had I known.
Oh well, gives me something to lust for for my next frame.
 

·
In FTF We Trust
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
That style of cruiser frame with the seatstays that curve from the dropouts to the downtube is refered to as a cantilever style frame; nothing to do with the brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
ifrider2 said:
What kind of headset is on that black sheep?
Cane Creek new 110 headset in Ti with wood inlay. North of $600 if I recall correctly. They are pretty and they made about 50 so get yours quick!
 

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
john cocktoastin (love Fletch!)... I didn't mean to come off that defensive, was just joking around. I'm totally biased and love James' work... My guess is that if you really get down to it you don't get a custom bike (custom frame, fork, headset?, stem, handlebars, seatpost, headbadge) in Ti from many manufacturers for $3000. I think the pricetag on a handmade USA Ti for just the frame with those tubes might be more than $3000... I don't build bikes, but I assume that the people that do know what they cost to make - and more importantly - what their customers will pay. Jones outsourcing bikes to Merlin saves a ton of time in the wait, but how much does it save in cost? (not rhetorical, I just don't know if those Merlins are $3000 or still around $6000)...

Anyway, no harm or attack meant, and I agree this bike is beautiful. I can't afford one no matter what the cost!
 

·
local trails rider
Joined
·
12,300 Posts
It is stunning... not quite my style or price range, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
There is a closeup of the headset and more info on the James and the bike here: http://reviews.mtbr.com/nahbs/

I am not sure, But I think the Fork, or one like it, is going on 1Strongone1's BS. It recall him mentioning a "special" fork project he is doing with a through axle.

I have been asking them to do a Ti fork with 20mm through since november and they told me to wait til spring. Guess they had this in the works and didnt want to ruin the surprie. Thats cool, I just hope they will make them now, although I am now thinking whole bike from them rather than just the fork for my other bike.

Awesome work
 

·
breathing helium
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
This bike is even more stunning in person. I think it is my favorite bike of the show. Certainly one that I would love to own. The big green apple cart bike is too cool for words.

I stopped by the Black Sheep booth a few times. First, I just wanted to meet James face to face after all of the emails and phone conversations, but secondly I wanted to see the bikes in person. I kept being magnetically drawn to the Black sheep booth though. I don't know what it was? ;)

It was very nice to shake hands with him and cool to see that he keeps honing his craft. The new bikes in this new series all have a certain touch that is different than everyone else at the show. I really like what he is doing with them. I'll have one of each please!

Anyway it was great to meet James, Yogi, and the Sheep crew. James is just a super guy, the kind of builder that instills confidence in the customer unlike anyone I've dealt with. I can definitely see myself ordering another bike from him in the future.
 

·
Occasionally engaged…
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
More than the cruiser, I'm impressed with James' take on the long-travel soft-tail. Below is a photo that Clockwork put up, and I've seen several versions of it in person. Note the Ti plate joining the bottom bracket to the seat-stays. It has bolts that allow sliding adjustment of the chainstay length so you can dial in chain tension for a SS or Rohloff. I remember James saying the bike has 4 inches of "pivotless" travel. Furthermore, the frame can be disassembled into two pieces and put in a travel case -- certainly as easy to use as S&S couplers, perhaps more easily (and no special tool required).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
el-cid said:
That style of cruiser frame with the seatstays that curve from the dropouts to the downtube is refered to as a cantilever style frame; nothing to do with the brakes.
I wasn't referring to the brakes, I knew there were no canti brakes, I was just trying to see the cantilever of the frame.
I guess my reference is from an engineering or architectural point, I didn't see an overhanging, unsupported structure.
I have never heard that this frame was called 'cantilever", so I guess you learn something new every day.
Anyhow, this has always been my favorite style of bike frame, at least esthetically.

El cid, what do you mean that this type of frame doesn't "translate well" for mtn biking? Can you elaborate? Is it a bad idea for me to get one for my next bike, is there inherently something that makes it unsuitable?
 

·
Samsonite Tester
Joined
·
3,993 Posts
PeT said:
More than the cruiser, I'm impressed with James' take on the long-travel soft-tail. Below is a photo that Clockwork put up, and I've seen several versions of it in person. Note the Ti plate joining the bottom bracket to the seat-stays. It has bolts that allow sliding adjustment of the chainstay length so you can dial in chain tension for a SS or Rohloff. I remember James saying the bike has 4 inches of "pivotless" travel. Furthermore, the frame can be disassembled into two pieces and put in a travel case -- certainly as easy to use as S&S couplers, perhaps more easily (and no special tool required).
Looks like it is belt drive compatible.:) Wonder if the CS changes length?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top