Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a friend that hauls a heavy payload, so to speak. He doesn’t want to ride at Black Rock because he is afraid the wood features will fail on him. Anyone know if the features are designed for a maximum weight?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I don't think your friend needs to be concerned. I know some pretty big folks who have hit every feature on the mountain. One of them used to post here a decade ago.

The wood features at Blackrock are slowly fading away – being torn down as they fall into disrepair instead of being rebuilt. Right now I'd be more concerned about how wet and slippery they are than their repair state. There's ridearounds for nearly every wood feature on Banzai Downhill; the exceptions are 2-3 bridges. Same for Sickter Gnar which has one bridge that you have to ride (where it crosses Granny's Kitchen) and one that has a ride around (the Fish Gap between Sickter Gnar 1 and Sickter Gnar 2).

Anyway, to answer your questions directly: No, the wood features are not "designed" in an engineering sense, and some of them are indeed falling apart. Particularly on Sunday Stroll / Brake Check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know of any official weight limits.. can't think of how that could be calculated with every feature being a custom one off construction out in the woods.

I weigh in at a little under 200# currently, and have ridden the easy and intermediate stuff at close to 225, and have a buddy at closer to 250 that has ridden the easy stuff without problems. On those trails I am pretty sure everything has a ride around. Be safe and walk / scout features if you aren't sure.. I don't know the details, but there was a fatality up there when I was up there last year.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I was there that day, but didn’t hear about it until I got home. I spent some time talking to a friend in the parking lot and then left before he did; he saw the emergency response vehicles coming through Falls City but I didn’t.

It looks like (based on cut up clothing and tagged first aid packaging left on the ground just off trail) the accident was on Banzai Downhill 1, just uphill of the (now demolished) first Plankenstein feature.

I don't know the details, but there was a fatality up there when I was up there last year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts