Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
February 28th, 2007 @ 6:30pm hosted at Northern Lights Theatre Pub in Salem, Oregon is the 4th Annual Black Rock trails raffle fundraiser (free admission!). Organized by Santiam Bicycle and Black Rock Mountain Bike Association (BRMBA). Sponsored by more than 25 mountain bike industry vendors! Including... SCOTT USA, Santa Cruz, Giant, Sombrio, Fox Racing Shox, Transition Bicycle Company and many others... see http://brmba.org for details.

Buy your raffle tickets now at Santiam Bicycle shop (or online at http://brmba.org)! There are hundreds of mountain bike related prizes to be won (including full bikes -- '06 SCOTT Nitrous 20 and '06 Giant STP). You do not need to be at the event to win (but you'll have to arrange to pick up or have your prize(s) shipped).

The (NEW!) 2006 Black Rock locals independent video (45+ minutes of video by local videographers/riders) will be premiered during this event. These are the clips included:

* Away From Home by Rich Bontrager
* Bikeopia by Arjon
* 'Another' Housejoint by Hodad
* K.R.G. by Travis Tyrrell
* Single Track Minds by Chris Hess
* We Ride Long Time by Hack and Flying J
* Black Rock Home Grown by Chris Eggen

What is the Black Rock Mountain Bike Association (BRMBA)?

We are a volunteer-powered non-profit tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to sustaining and enhancing the Black Rock Mountain Bike Trails under an Oregon Department of Forestry management plan . Aside from that as our central goal, we also help support other local mountain bike trails and provide education about, advocacy for, and progression of the sport of mountain biking.

For more information see http://brmba.org "About Us" and "History / Timeline".

Attachments

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
ummmmm...that video isn't Blackrock
Thats kinda what I was thinkin :confused:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ha, ha... looks alot more like whistler than black rock... unless BR has some sort of "back side" that i have yet to find... :)

Also, the building at BR is top notch, but make sure to check out post canyon, mt galbraith and exit 27/38 in the NW as well...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a local riders video from where ever they have rode. That vid is of one of the Santiam Bike shop guys(ChrisE) up at Whistler, but don't worry there's plenty of BlackRock vid to be seen and lots of swag to be won (BIG thanks to all the vendors that donate). And for anyone that hasn't been up to BR lately, there's new trial to ride at BR and Shelburg Falls (which is also having a build day on Feb.4) and I know Post Canyon has plenty of big burly stuff to hit, so if your comin' try to make a weekend of it.
Have fun and stay healthy out there where ever you may be riding.

·
NWfreeride said:
Ha, ha... looks alot more like whistler than black rock... unless BR has some sort of "back side" that i have yet to find... :)

Also, the building at BR is top notch, but make sure to check out post canyon, mt galbraith and exit 27/38 in the NW as well...
Yes- there are really good trails and scenes all over- Post Canyon has got to be up there- but when it comes to a totally legit progressive trail system for mountain bikers Black Rock is a model that others should look to. It has an organized motivated club that is working hand in hand with the city, the forest service, IMBA, the bikes industry, and local retailers. I have not seen this duplicated to the level it is by anyone else in the country- Vietnam has to be close- but I have personal experience with the guys at Blackrock.:D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Roaming Oregon said:
Yes- there are really good trails and scenes all over- Post Canyon has got to be up there- but when it comes to a totally legit progressive trail system for mountain bikers Black Rock is a model that others should look to. It has an organized motivated club that is working hand in hand with the city, the forest service, IMBA, the bikes industry, and local retailers. .:D
I keep saying the same thing....you want something legit then talk to these guys that started it....like "skinnyhippy"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NWfreeride said:
Yeah - that is Angry Pirate into A-Line (Whistler). It's just one slice of video from 45 minutes of stuff submitted by 7 different producers. That particular shot is from "Away From Home" by Rich Bontrager - the rider is Chris Eggen (a local shop rider).

NWfreeride said:
Hey thanks man! there's 3 different core build teams lead by trail managers. Always great to know their efforts are appreciated! Post Canyon (Hood River) is awesome place as well - stuff is built crazy huge. We're starting to see larger stuff at Black Rock now too - but it's a matter of getting the land managers comfortable with the fact that we're not TRYING to kill ourselves...!

Here's one new thing that just got built last week:

That's pic of Rich Bontrager taking that drop...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NWfreeride said:
Oh YEAH, and seriously, there is plans for a "backside" to Black Rock. Leo Kowalski (who pioneered the adopt-a-trail agreement with Oregon Department of Forestry for building Black Rock) has been working with a team developing a plan... EPIC in scope!

It involves leasing more land (next to Black Rock) and putting in a chair lift... and building more trails down the backside of where Black Rock currently is. It's seriously a real deal. They are working through presentations to the necessary stakeholders (Polk County, City of Falls City, etc).. the state tourism board is already stoked about the concept...

In 5 years, Black Rock will be THE place to ride lift accessible downhill/freeride trails all year long (except when it snows for that one week like it always seems to - but that just make the trails that much more interesting for a week!)

The joke about Black Rock should have a lift... well, it's not a joke anymore - there's a project plan, and the group is seeking funding.

MIND BLOWING, eh!? (fyi, up until 24 hours ago I was under a "non-disclosure" but the wraps are OFF now! and I gotta tell everyone everywhere...)

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
joer said:
Yeah - that is Angry Pirate into A-Line (Whistler). It's just one slice of video from 45 minutes of stuff submitted by 7 different producers. That particular shot is from "Away From Home" by Rich Bontrager - the rider is Chris Eggen (a local shop rider).

Hey thanks man! there's 3 different core build teams lead by trail managers. Always great to know their efforts are appreciated! Post Canyon (Hood River) is awesome place as well - stuff is built crazy huge. We're starting to see larger stuff at Black Rock now too - but it's a matter of getting the land managers comfortable with the fact that we're not TRYING to kill ourselves...!

Here's one new thing that just got built last week:

That's pic of Rich Bontrager taking that drop...
Is that what I think it is?!?!?!? Rich Bontrager on a King fisher in action:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !! freakn sweet. hope it is cause been wanting more action shots of this bike:D :cool: :D :cool: :D .... anyone else with action pics of this bike please post them up!!! yeah!!! yeah!!!:D :p :thumbsup: :cool:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
joer said:
Yeah - that is Angry Pirate into A-Line (Whistler).
Fund raiser sounds cool as hell. I love to hear what you guys have going...thanks for the posts.

Small correction. The very opening few seconds might be on Angry Pirate, but most of that section is on Crabapple Hits and then some A-line at the end.

Here's what they look like when you can see them.....

Cheers,
EBX

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.