Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up some Stans rims with silver spokes. I'm considering using black nipples, but I'm curious as to how durable the black coating is?

Thanks

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
intheways said:
I'm building up some Stans rims with silver spokes. I'm considering using black nipples, but I'm curious as to how durable the black coating is?

Thanks
If the correct size spoke wrench is used and the wheels are well built (not requiring a lot of truing) then they are plenty durable. The alloy versions are anodized not coated.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Depends on...

the nipple material. The anodizing on alloy nipples is quite durable. The black coating used on brass nipples, not so much. The only thing that colored nips give you is a little accent, contrast, or style. Nothing else. As noted though anodizing can fade, and if you have to true the wheels often it'll wear off as well. I've used them before just for fun. Is it worth it?, eh. Can look pretty cool though.:D

Good Dirt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.