Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

NIB! haha. just picked up a new black market 357 direct from S&M yesterday. cant put it together till friday as my wife bought it for me birfday and thats not till friday...

i was asked by Chris of S&M (Mr Bigshot himself) to spread the word.

retails for $1050, and i paid $650 cash - straight up. what a ****in deal. he said he has GRIPS of them and is tryign to get rid of them.

these are all 100% made in USA right here in So Cal. further models will be made overseas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's the only 357 I've ever seen come with highrise bars before.....All the people I know who have one had like 2" rise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stevo92 said:
That's the only 357 I've ever seen come with highrise bars before.....All the people I know who have one had like 2" rise.
good eye stevo - i think the 2" rise is the stocker, that pic i nabbed off the net for reference, since i cant build mine till saturday.. haha.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Something is wrong. Only the Mob is made by S&M until after this model year.. The Riot and .357 have always been made overseas. Next year S&M will not be making the Mob for BlkMrkt so who knows where they will be made.

Plus there is no way that even if the .357 was made in the US that it would be sold as complete for $650.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Demo-9 said:
Something is wrong. Only the Mob is made by S&M until after this model year.. The Riot and .357 have always been made overseas. Next year S&M will not be making the Mob for BlkMrkt so who knows where they will be made.

Plus there is no way that even if the .357 was made in the US that it would be sold as complete for $650.
u r right demo. i picked up my bike directly from Chris Mullers at his house and in speaking to chris i asked him why he was letting BlkMrkt go. his talks sounded as if the person taking it over was taking it overseas, thats why i thought the frames wer eall made here. after i read a little more about it, the mob is US made, the rest are overseas.

i agree that a US made frame would be a lot higher priced. im not sure of the cost to build a mob, but its gotta be pricey. i still fully believe i got a good deal tho...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pnj said:
you did get a good deal. Happy Birfday. now show us pics of the bike built up.:D
and you know this! ! ! It will be Sunday when I build it up.

Friday - take the wife to see The Dan Band at house of blues
Saturday - wife takes me to OC for a party at the pub
Sunday - build the 357 and take it to the streets subsequently posting photos to mtbr.

thanks PNJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks - Metal..

I am going to put a front brake on it immediately. I want to keep it mechanical becuase I will be in sk8prks with it. I use front brake a lot for tech/trials type stuff and dont care about weight. at 215 if i want to shave a pound or two I can skip a night of drinking..

I am big on pic posting, so they are comin...

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
There is no question that you got a great deal. The geometry is awesome. I love my Mob. :thumbsup:

Too bad they are also going overseas with the Mob. I am not so much bothered by the location as much as the high end tubing used. Since Supertherm is from the US I assume that overseas manufacturing will use a different grade of tubing. Sure there is equivalent tubing out there, but US sourced tubing and welded in California meant a lot to me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I hate what our society has succumbed too... but that's a whole different story. I really wanted The Mob but damn that .243 deal was too good to pass up. (I'm guilty as everyone else)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. Im not new to 2 wheels and Ive had a MTB for as long as i can remember.. way back to my Kestrel MXZ!

Im getting into the whole urban-specific DJ style 26" and have a lot to learn...

I put my bike together saturday AM before i left town for my and my wifes birthdays. It is waiting for the tires to be filled and taken on its first official ride around the neighborhood.

I will put up more pix of some spots i have scouted later on. i need to get the wheels dialed in and teach myself about disc brakes as i need to tighten up the rear and install a front on my 357.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wow, our bikes look so similar. Ditch the front brake bro, this bike didn't come with one for a reason. You have a SICK rig, keep it how it is IMO. One thing you may need to do is get a bigger bloom out of your brake cable once you start messing around with bar spins. I highly recommend Odyssey linear brake cables. You can spin the bars and the cables don't tension up nor does it affect the brakes in anyway. They also come in assorted colors to match your red colors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xDetroitMetalx said:
Wow, our bikes look so similar. Ditch the front brake bro, this bike didn't come with one for a reason. You have a SICK rig, keep it how it is IMO. One thing you may need to do is get a bigger bloom out of your brake cable once you start messing around with bar spins. I highly recommend Odyssey linear brake cables. You can spin the bars and the cables don't tension up nor does it affect the brakes in anyway. They also come in assorted colors to match your red colors.
thanks metal - i ran odyssey linear cables on my Sunday Wave and loved them. footjam tailwhips and barspins were flawless with the linear..

my Sunday was a rear brake only. I will ride mine around for a while, but i like the front brake on my urban assault so i can stop REAL fast when im about to smak a fool on the sidewalk comin out of a business or openign a car door.

thanks - i will ride it w/o the front for a day or two and see what i think. thanks! PB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts