Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

Me and the missus have a 3 day weekend coming up and we're leaning heavily towards heading up to the Black Hills. It's been a long time since I loved there (15 years already, sheesh) and I'm not remembering what the weather is like in the hills. Thawed out? Wet? Good for camping?

Oh, and I'm planning on riding too. Suggestions are super duper welcome!

Thanks!

·
Tracking up the place
627 Posts
My riding buddy went yesterday up at Old Baldy (Spearfish), said it was a little muddy... i think if we hold onto the warm trend you should be ok...I would watch the weather and see how it turns out..If your hookin up in RCity then get with "Sparrow" Aka Tim with Acme Cycles, he can hook you up with open rides in the area...Otherwise check with all the shops...

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Debaser said:
Howdy!

Me and the missus have a 3 day weekend coming up and we're leaning heavily towards heading up to the Black Hills. It's been a long time since I loved there (15 years already, sheesh) and I'm not remembering what the weather is like in the hills. Thawed out? Wet? Good for camping?

Oh, and I'm planning on riding too. Suggestions are super duper welcome!

Thanks!
I'm heading out to the hills on Thursday the 5th and coming back on the 18th. It's supposed to be in the 80's in the hills on Thursday the 5th the day I drive out. Storm Mountain is open year round was in great shape in March already. Centennial should be about dried out and M hill is open year round and dried as well.

It was one of the driest winters on record - so I wouldn't be worrying about wet trails. I would worry about fire danger though...

Maybe I'll see you out on the trails. I will be staying at Storm Mountain Retreat Center.

BB

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sauvage

We are riding daily in the Black Hills this time of year! The weather could be a little bit of an issue depending on the out look for rain. As of this morning 5-8-05, be are getting some rain, and the rest of the week we may have some passing rain storms, but I hope it will be dried out for the weekend!

Normally temps should be in the high 60s to low 70s during the day, but temps will fall into the 40's or even cooler depending on where you are looking at camping. Right now it looks like we may be even cooler with highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's. Check the weather at: http://www.wunderground.com/US/SD/Rapid_City.html

The Black Hills are a hidden gem for us local riders, we truely enjoy some of the best riding anywhere and depending on your riding ability, you can enjoy some moderate single track or some extreme trails with drops, steps and tricky crossings!

Depending on where you are planning on staying in the Black Hills, I could suggest some good rides, and depending on the amount of time you have available to ride!

Keep an eye on the weather, and if I'm available, I could try and join you for a ride!

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We start the journey tomorrow after work. Planning on camping, unless we just plain can't for some reason. (Fingers crossed for the weather).

Planing to stop in at acme. I'm down for riding with folks too, but my wife is just above novice, and I'm pretty decent, so it's a little hard to hook up the right sort of rides.

Really looking forward to this!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Debaser said:
We start the journey tomorrow after work. Planning on camping, unless we just plain can't for some reason. (Fingers crossed for the weather).

Planing to stop in at acme. I'm down for riding with folks too, but my wife is just above novice, and I'm pretty decent, so it's a little hard to hook up the right sort of rides.

Really looking forward to this!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Hills have just been hit with a snow storm and it's still snowing as I type this. Here's the story:

http://keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=22,39655

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Ski-U-Mah said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Hills have just been hit with a snow storm and it's still snowing as I type this. Here's the story:

http://keloland.com/NewsDetail2817.cfm?Id=22,39655
Man, I felt bad after mouthing off that the weather was going to be perfect. I've been out here with a group since May 5th - and the rain, followed by one foot of snow was quite a shock to all of us. I guess the good news is that things were worth riding off road again on Saturday the 14th and Sunday the 15th. Today, the 15th was in the upper 70's and Monday will be in the 80's. That ought to pretty much remove most of that snow still hanging around from mid week. I hope their trip went okay with the sudden winter weather. I missed 4 days of riding due to the rain and snow, but enjoyed 10 miles at Storm Mountain on Saturday and 20 miles at Storm Mountain on Sunday in spite of it.

Our group is doing a big chunk of the Mick tomorrow. It sure is beautiful out here in the hills...

BB

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BruceBrown said:
Man, I felt bad after mouthing off that the weather was going to be perfect. I've been out here with a group since May 5th - and the rain, followed by one foot of snow was quite a shock to all of us. I guess the good news is that things were worth riding off road again on Saturday the 14th and Sunday the 15th.

BB
Flexibility is key: I knew there was that slight chance that things might go haywire with the weather, so the wife and I, after hearing news of the storm, made like snowbords and headed south to NM. Didn't stay completely dry, but ahd a great trip nonetheless.

We're already planning a make-up Hills trip in the next 60 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.