Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i need some help....i am looking for a good fork for my 2010 Nomad build but i want it to be ALL BLACK. I really like the Fox Talas 36 just so you know roughly what i am looking for and a price range but it only comes in silver. I hate to buy something just for the color but i really want what i want. so i am trying to find a great fork that is still all black.

i am a newbie building my first bike from the ground up so anyone please chime in. thanks!

thanks in advance.....i really appreciate it!!!!

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
it is possible to find a black fox talas 36. not often though. they pop on ebay from time to time. black float 36's are a little easier to find in black on ebay.

the other perfect option would be the rock shox lyrik. they come in black. you can get the solo air version (comparable to the fox float 36) or the lyrik u turn if you want travel adjust.

go for the 2010's cause they are a little lighter plus they offer a DH version that has the new style damper without floodgate (which isn't needed)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Krylon!

Get the fork that works best for you, and if you don't like the color, get a can of spray-paint, paint it black, and slap some fresh stickers on if you want it to look more "factory original". Seriously though? When you're actually riding, you need to look ahead at the trail, not look down at the color of your fork, or you will crash. Just get a good fork that works, and stop tryin' to be a [email protected]$$ little fashionista b!tch.:rolleyes:

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
scottrick said:
so i need some help....i am looking for a good fork for my 2010 Nomad build but i want it to be ALL BLACK. I really like the Fox Talas 36 just so you know roughly what i am looking for and a price range but it only comes in silver. I hate to buy something just for the color but i really want what i want. so i am trying to find a great fork that is still all black.

i am a newbie building my first bike from the ground up so anyone please chime in. thanks!

thanks in advance.....i really appreciate it!!!!
I'd like to understand this a bit better....what kind of process did you go through to arrive at this post?

A. you are a newbie building your first bike. You've chosen a 2010 Nomad, certainly a great bike - but certainly not a completely innocuous choice (nor inexpensive :eekster: ). The VPP platform is a specific type of suspension linkage, with fairly marked ride characteristics (albeit a bit muted and "sanitized" for 2010). A lot of people swear by it, but others don't seem to like it. Did you chose this frame for a particular reason? What kind of riding do you plan to do with it?

B. Fow 36 Talas....yes, again, that's a great fork in that category. But, why do you say you "really like it"? Did you ride one? Was it on a "best fork for 2010" list? Reviews, maybe? Do you plan on using the travel adjust (many people climb without it, and prefer the simplicity of a non-travel adjust fork that has less parts to fiddle with...and that can break...)? Are you sure you want an airsprung fork (again, what kind of riding are we aiming for here)? If you actually think you might want/like a coil fork, then the Float is easy to find in black....

C. anyway, it all boils down to finding a black alternative to your chosen fork. You are in luck, because there are a couple of valid choices: The Lyric has been mentioned, most would agree that it is a worthy alternative to a 36 Talas. Choose from many versions (what is it you want to do with the bike now again)? From Marzocchi, I don't know about the 55 these days...I've ridden previous versions and I never liked it (could be all good for 2010 for all I know). Now, the 66 is a great fork....but it's got more travel than the Talas, and weighs more, so you'd have to want to build a mini-DH version of the Nomad to go that way. It does however come with black stanchions as well...
Please don't go with some 140mm compromise from Nixon just because it happens to be all black...

D. Last year, White was the new Black. :D Who knows what will happen next (once we get over the purple and green, that is...).

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
FA-Q said:
Get the fork that works best for you, and if you don't like the color, get a can of spray-paint, paint it black, and slap some fresh stickers on if you want it to look more "factory original". Seriously though? When you're actually riding, you need to look ahead at the trail, not look down at the color of your fork, or you will crash. Just get a good fork that works, and stop tryin' to be a [email protected]$$ little fashionista b!tch.:rolleyes:
just paint the fvcker!!! And don't worry about colors and being a fashionista pansy....I love my black and red

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Iceman2058 said:
I'd like to understand this a bit better....what kind of process did you go through to arrive at this post?

A. you are a newbie building your first bike. You've chosen a 2010 Nomad, certainly a great bike - but certainly not a completely innocuous choice (nor inexpensive :eekster: ). The VPP platform is a specific type of suspension linkage, with fairly marked ride characteristics (albeit a bit muted and "sanitized" for 2010). A lot of people swear by it, but others don't seem to like it. Did you chose this frame for a particular reason? What kind of riding do you plan to do with it?

B. Fow 36 Talas....yes, again, that's a great fork in that category. But, why do you say you "really like it"? Did you ride one? Was it on a "best fork for 2010" list? Reviews, maybe? Do you plan on using the travel adjust (many people climb without it, and prefer the simplicity of a non-travel adjust fork that has less parts to fiddle with...and that can break...)? Are you sure you want an airsprung fork (again, what kind of riding are we aiming for here)? If you actually think you might want/like a coil fork, then the Float is easy to find in black....

C. anyway, it all boils down to finding a black alternative to your chosen fork. You are in luck, because there are a couple of valid choices: The Lyric has been mentioned, most would agree that it is a worthy alternative to a 36 Talas. Choose from many versions (what is it you want to do with the bike now again)? From Marzocchi, I don't know about the 55 these days...I've ridden previous versions and I never liked it (could be all good for 2010 for all I know). Now, the 66 is a great fork....but it's got more travel than the Talas, and weighs more, so you'd have to want to build a mini-DH version of the Nomad to go that way. It does however come with black stanchions as well...
Please don't go with some 140mm compromise from Nixon just because it happens to be all black...

D. Last year, White was the new Black. :D Who knows what will happen next (once we get over the purple and green, that is...).
WOW.....quite brutal, yet honest. I like it:)

a little about me, i raced BMX for 8 years back when i was younger. I recently (within the last 6 months) have been going out MTB'ing with some friends borrowing a Nomad 1 with a talas fork. I seem to like the set up so i am now going off my limited experience and reading countless reviews to make my ultimate decision.

In regards to color, if i am going to spend $5,000 on a bike piecing it together, i want it to look different than everyone else's bike (sue me for trying to be a little different/unique). I dont want to build a $5,000 bike that looks like it was thrown together. The way i see it, there are a lot of great components out there, so for me to ask for a black fork that everyone seems to like gives me a reason to find someone with the set-up and try it out to see if i like it.

i am in no means trying to buy a crappy fork just cause its black. quite the contrary....i am trying to find a great fork (1st priority) that is ALSO black (2nd priority).

thanks again for everyone's ideas. being a newbie to the forums....i thought that i might find a little more help without being called a "panzy" for trying to find a certain color fork. seems I was wrong

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
scottrick said:
WOW.....quite brutal, yet honest. I like it:)

a little about me, i raced BMX for 8 years back when i was younger. I recently (within the last 6 months) have been going out MTB'ing with some friends borrowing a Nomad 1 with a talas fork. I seem to like the set up so i am now going off my limited experience and reading countless reviews to make my ultimate decision.

In regards to color, if i am going to spend $5,000 on a bike piecing it together, i want it to look different than everyone else's bike (sue me for trying to be a little different/unique). I dont want to build a $5,000 bike that looks like it was thrown together. The way i see it, there are a lot of great components out there, so for me to ask for a black fork that everyone seems to like gives me a reason to find someone with the set-up and try it out to see if i like it.

i am in no means trying to buy a crappy fork just cause its black. quite the contrary....i am trying to find a great fork (1st priority) that is ALSO black (2nd priority).

thanks again for everyone's ideas. being a newbie to the forums....i thought that i might find a little more help without being called a "panzy" for trying to find a certain color fork. seems I was wrong
Aha, that's more like it. So there IS a plan... :D

Oh and you got off easy if panzy is all the flaming we're gonna get out of this one... ;)
Just people having fun. Lot's of actual good advice to be found here...

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Iceman2058 said:
Aha, that's more like it. So there IS a plan... :D

Oh and you got off easy if panzy is all the flaming we're gonna get out of this one... ;)
Just people having fun. Lot's of actual good advice to be found here...

Good luck!
haha...thanks. I am not the kind of guy who just buys what the factory thinks is a good combination of components. therefore i am forced to do tons of research on a lot of parts i will probably never get to try out before i buy. Building a bike is not an easy thing to do if you are just getting into the MTB world. and to be frank, i am tired of waiting for all the right parts and i just want to build this thing already but i still have so many parts to figure out.

thanks again for all the advice/recommendations

·
Registered
126 Posts
sorry...

Alright, I'll apologize for the "pansy" comment, but seriously, color is a pretty minor (and easily remedied) concern. Nothin' wrong with having a nice looking bike, but if you're looking for something different or unique, a black fork ain't gonna accomplish that...:rolleyes:
And if you're new to mtn biking, you're a fool for dropping $5k on your first ride, unless you're so filthy rich that $5k is nothing to you. Most (non-rich working-class riders) would be much wiser to start with something more affordable, and then eventually get your dream bike when you actually have enough riding experience to know for sure what your dream bike really is.
By the way- if you like the fox forks, why not just get a vanilla instead of a talas? Not much heavier, already black, and coil springs just ride smoother and are more reliable than air springs, and unless you really need the travel adjust, it's just one more thing that may break or fail in some way...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FA-Q said:
Alright, I'll apologize for the "pansy" comment, but seriously, color is a pretty minor (and easily remedied) concern. Nothin' wrong with having a nice looking bike, but if you're looking for something different or unique, a black fork ain't gonna accomplish that...:rolleyes:
And if you're new to mtn biking, you're a fool for dropping $5k on your first ride, unless you're so filthy rich that $5k is nothing to you. Most (non-rich working-class riders) would be much wiser to start with something more affordable, and then eventually get your dream bike when you actually have enough riding experience to know for sure what your dream bike really is.
By the way- if you like the fox forks, why not just get a vanilla instead of a talas? Not much heavier, already black, and coil springs just ride smoother and are more reliable than air springs, and unless you really need the travel adjust, it's just one more thing that may break or fail in some way...
haha...you are right. just a black fork isnt going to make me stand out, it is just one piece of the puzzle that i am trying to create.

As for the 5K, if you must know, i got into car accident and because someone rear ended me, i am going to end up with about 5K. at first i was going to put the $$ into my house, but then i decided to just blow it all on myself. something a little selfish that i dont normally do. so with my lack of experience i am going to try and get the best running start to my dream bike right off the bat.

thanks again for all of your advise!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.