Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first urban beater/freeride bike for drops about 3 ft or so and I am looking for the ***CHEEPEST*** fork suggestions. I've seen some Manitou blacks for sale pretty cheep, but I don't know if they are enough.

Frame is a GT Ruckus 1.0 ('03, I think) and it will be used to jump off picnic tables and stuff to impress my kids (they're easily impressed).

So, anyway, any good suggestions for a decent **CHEEP** fork that will take some abuse?

Also, it has to be **CHEEP**.

AJ

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am possibly selling my complete bike for $500. Not sure how many actual parts you need for the build but if you need several you can take them off mine and put them on the GT.

Frame is a K2 Brass Monkey (pretty stout frame) LX rear der, LX shifter, and Shimano disk brakes.

EVERYTHING else listed here was bought brand new all at the same time to put on the bike and I have receipts. I bought it all in late september of 2005 and rode it till the end of october when I moved to NY and havent touched it since (I can't find any good riding in central NY). Anyway purchased parts are as follows, all bought brand new:

2005 Marz. Z1 freeride 3 fork 150mm travel 20mm thruaxle
Azonic Outlaw wheels w/2.3 Azonic freeride tires
Raceface Evolve DH crank
Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals
E-13 SRS chain guide
Race Face Diabolus riserbar
Truvativ Hussefelt stem
FSA pig DH pro headset
park tools wrench to remove external bearing BB
new chain SRAM something
Park freewheel/cas. removal tool

If all you need is a fork disregard and pick one up for 250-300. If you need more things I can save you some money. Otherwise I am going to part everything out.

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, you have a paypal account?

LUKassZ said:
I am possibly selling my complete bike for $500. Not sure how many actual parts you need for the build but if you need several you can take them off mine and put them on the GT.

Frame is a K2 Brass Monkey (pretty stout frame) LX rear der, LX shifter, and Shimano disk brakes.

EVERYTHING else listed here was bought brand new all at the same time to put on the bike and I have receipts. I bought it all in late september of 2005 and rode it till the end of october when I moved to NY and havent touched it since (I can't find any good riding in central NY). Anyway purchased parts are as follows, all bought brand new:

2005 Marz. Z1 freeride 3 fork 150mm travel 20mm thruaxle
Azonic Outlaw wheels w/2.3 Azonic freeride tires
Raceface Evolve DH crank
Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals
E-13 SRS chain guide
Race Face Diabolus riserbar
Truvativ Hussefelt stem
FSA pig DH pro headset
park tools wrench to remove external bearing BB
new chain SRAM something
Park freewheel/cas. removal tool

If all you need is a fork disregard and pick one up for 250-300. If you need more things I can save you some money. Otherwise I am going to part everything out.
I'll give you $300 and not a penny more. But, a quick $300. I can have it to you by tomorrow midnight.

AJ

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
mcseforsale said:
I'm building my first urban beater/freeride bike for drops about 3 ft or so and I am looking for the ***CHEEPEST*** fork suggestions. I've seen some Manitou blacks for sale pretty cheep, but I don't know if they are enough.

Frame is a GT Ruckus 1.0 ('03, I think) and it will be used to jump off picnic tables and stuff to impress my kids (they're easily impressed).

So, anyway, any good suggestions for a decent **CHEEP** fork that will take some abuse?

AJ
A 120mm BLACK should be able to handle what you describe.

However, i am not a fan of manipoo at the moment. it seems they have a few more quality control problems when compaired to their competition.

I rode a 2005 120mm black, (lower end model) and i could not bottom it with my 150lbs. It did not feel awesome, but it worked. Not a big money fork, so you can only expect so much. Adjustments made small differences, but not huge.

My dad had a 2002 100mm black comp. it leaked all its oil out through a hole in the lower leg. it must have been covered up by paint, because initially there was not problem. It was very plush, but found it bottomed relatively easy. It has been sent to manitou, we shall see what they do. Oh warranty=good reason to buy a product new.

My advice. Consider the deals, and read the MTBR reviews for the specific model and year of the fork you are looking at. Some had some pretty frequent seal failure problems.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
mcseforsale said:

AJ
DJ3, or,if you want QR20, I see DJ1s on ebay a lot..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.