Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use Big Fat Larrys to ride the beach on my Pugs. I usually run 5-7 psi and do pretty well. I am going to go tubeless and trying to decide if a thinner but slick tire would run a little better on the sand. The old timers driving 4x4's on the beach always swore by bald tires. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I currently use Big Fat Larrys to ride the beach on my Pugs. I usually run 5-7 psi and do pretty well. I am going to go tubeless and trying to decide if a thinner but slick tire would run a little better on the sand. The old timers driving 4x4's on the beach always swore by bald tires. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated, thanks
It's worth a try, I run these Fleetwood duro 26x4 semi slicks for summer pavement but they also do well offroad.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
17,091 Posts
Depends on the condition of the beach.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The guys I see riding in the moist packed sand below the high tide line or virgin undisturbed sand in low use areas do fine with essentially a slick.

Travel up into the dunes into soft wind deposited sand and they need max float and traction.

There is fine line that only you can decide how much more the pros are for your conditions. From here, either would be pretty good only one would be better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. There certainly is not a clear cut answer hence my debate. I ride in all types of sand from hard packed by the surf line to sugar if it hasn't rained in a while. I'm leaning towards the BFL for more float. Thanks again for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I’ve used BFL on my Pivot Les Fat for years on Cape Cod beaches. Plus they are a great all around tire for trail riding too. The old school split tube method has been great as a tubeless setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.