Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1x9 steel hardtail winter project...almost finished. just need to put the chain on and trim the brake hoses. also waiting for my Dark Cycles Arachnid pedals to come in. sorry for the poor pic quality, taken with my phone camera, will post up more detailed pics as soon as it is finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
What size is your frame? I was debating on Inbred 456 , Evil, & TransAM. Ruled the 456 out b/c of the non-replaceable derail.hanger so now saving as much $ as I can w/Evil in mind but still not 100% sure on it. I do like it the best as fit/paint/quality seems better but I like the TransAM too! The Evil uses same front mech I have & the ETT length is closer to what I'm currently riding... hard decisions!

Looking to see more EVIL build pics!

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frame is a medium. Jubilee i will send some better pics as soon as i have them as promised.
I almost pulled the trigger on a TransAM but found the Sovereign on Evil's website just before I was going to buy. Little bit more money but I like the geo a little better.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Unclekittykiller, looks like you are going to have a swell time on your new rig. In the process of getting a medium myself. Three quick questions regarding the camera pic:

1. What is your stem's rise and length?
2. What travel fork are you using?
3. What rise handlebar are you using?

Trying to eyeball geometry before purchasing components as there are no EVIL distributors in my country. THANKS!

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chromagftw said:
Unclekittykiller, looks like you are going to have a swell time on your new rig. In the process of getting a medium myself. Three quick questions regarding the camera pic:

1. What is your stem's rise and length?
2. What travel fork are you using?
3. What rise handlebar are you using?

Trying to eyeball geometry before purchasing components as there are no EVIL distributors in my country. THANKS!
1) stem is 80mm length 0 rise w/ 7.5mm spacer stack
2) fork is 150mm RS Revelation
3) bar is 20mm rise 685mm wide

build is mostly finished now. hopefully will be able to post better pics later tonight. haven't been able to give'r a proper test ride yet as our weather is pouring rain all day. quick parking lot test yesterday felt very nice tho. 80mm stem felt spot on. same with 150mm fork - would need more spacer stack if 140mm.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Do you think you'll have to lower the travel for climbing? My local trails are roller coasters so short, tech climbing with a few longer climbs so I'm def taking that into consideration since the Evil has the more slack sat angle than the TransAM. I was thinking of getting a 150mm fork also just incase I move to FS in the future. Either frame I'm sure I'll need to lower for my climbs. I have a 75mm stem I'd use so shorter ETT on TR/Evil is better than the 456 Inbred which I realized was longer (TR shortest of the 3).

Looking forward to more pics & hearing how it rides. Must be frustrating w/crummy weather!

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bitewerks said:
Do you think you'll have to lower the travel for climbing? My local trails are roller coasters so short, tech climbing with a few longer climbs so I'm def taking that into consideration since the Evil has the more slack sat angle than the TransAM. I was thinking of getting a 150mm fork also just incase I move to FS in the future. Either frame I'm sure I'll need to lower for my climbs. I have a 75mm stem I'd use so shorter ETT on TR/Evil is better than the 456 Inbred which I realized was longer (TR shortest of the 3).

Looking forward to more pics & hearing how it rides. Must be frustrating w/crummy weather!
Actually the Evil has the shortest ETT @ 585mm vs TRans AM @ 590.5mm. I def will NOT need to lower my fork for climbing. My Spot has a Lyrik Solo Air and I never feel the need to lower it on climbs. This setup is lower than that so I will be fine. This bike will climb just as well. I wish I could say that I have had the chance to prove that but it may be a little while with the soggy trails we have currently.:madman:

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
27.5 lbs on the bathroom scale. a little heavier than I was hoping for, but I didn't exactly break the bank buying uberlite components either, so I can't complain.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Excellant pics! I like that sawblade-bashguard. On the TransAm, I'd jotted down the TT Actual # (570.8mm). I get;em all mixed up.

Hope to finalize my decision on the 2 frames in a couple of months. On the Evil, I already have the front derail. so one less thing to buy & I like those dropouts..

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
how do you like the blackbox rev? can you compare to regular MoCo?

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
saturnine said:
how do you like the blackbox rev? can you compare to regular MoCo?
I wish I could tell you but I've only had the bike built for a couple of days now and the weather here hasn't been good during this time. I plan on having a test ride in hopefully by this weekend, but that may not even happen as I may not be around. After the first real test ride I will post all impressions.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Sweet! Looks great!

Our builds will look somewhat similar...I'm using a pair of white Azonic wheels with a med black frame.

I'll post pics here when I start the build...hopefully tonight!

Looking forward to a ride report...:thumbsup:

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Build

Ok, i should have done this from the start, so here goes:

frame: medium Evil Sovereign
fork: RS Revelation Team 150mm w/ Blackbox damper
brakes: Formula K-18 (probably will upgrade with FCS adjuster)
hubs: Hope Pro II (20mm front, 10mm thru-axle rear)
rims: DT Swiss 4.2d
tires: Maxxis Crossmark 2.25
cranks: Shimano SLX triple 170mm
bb: Hope stainless steel
pedals: crank bros. mallet m (soon to be Dark Cycles Arachnid)
headset: Cane Creek 110
stem: Thomson X4 80mm x 0mm
bars: Easton monkeylite XC 20mm rise
clamp: Evil (soon to be Hope)
r. deraill: Sram XO mid cage (old '05 model)
chainguide: N-Gear jumpstop
cassette: Shimano XT 11-34t
bashguard: Dangerboy sawblade
chainring: Blackspire Mono Veloce 32t
shifter: Sram X-9
grips: Deity enoki
saddle: WTB Pure V pro

1 - 20 of 52 Posts