Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if the Southern sections shown on the www.bctaz.com site is open and, more importantly, rideable? The site shows the trail completed from the Carefree Hwy TH North to the Little Pan Loop TH but I haven't heard of anybody riding anything but the LPL.

TIA

Gary

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
GeeDubb said:
Was wondering if the Southern sections shown on the www.bctaz.com site is open and, more importantly, rideable? The site shows the trail completed from the Carefree Hwy TH North to the Little Pan Loop TH but I haven't heard of anybody riding anything but the LPL.

TIA

Gary
I think AKA Monkeybutt, su.ling and dirtrodr have explored the southern part...

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Hey Gary,

The Wrecking Crew (Jeff, Chris and I) Have done the lower sections a few times. From Emery Henderson TH to the Doe Peak Access (just off 1-17 & New River Rd) is really not enjoyable on a bike. Alot of wash that is just crap for MTB. BUT if you stage at the Doe Peak Access and hit the BCT from there, its great! You'll get to the Boy Scout Loop (Loops around a mtn) and the West side is double track but the East side is really good singletrack. We have in the past did the left (West) up and the right (East) coming back but next time we'll just take the right as it is all singletrack and better than the double track.

A note on that: it'll be uphill and more techy on the right portion (East)

That loop converges and you have a nice little climb then it'll drop down to a water tank station with some very rocky stuff that is wide but soon turns back into great singletrack. This eventually leads you to the Table Mesa TH and the Little Pan Loop.

Maps:
http://www.bctaz.com/gpage3.html

Trailheads:
http://www.bctaz.com/gpage2.html

We are planning to do the whole enchilada in a nice little epic ride at some point. Should be fun. I find the upper sections of BCT (LPL from Table Mesa) to be a bit more exciting. The lower sections are good though. Each individual section takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to complete.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The South section is rideable but very confusing and hard to find since shooters and dirtbags have destroyed signs.

We park off New River Rd. and start towards the bottom of Boy scout loop which is very hard to find unless you know the area.

Boy scout we now take counterclockwise which is good uphill singletrack that leads to a rocky hill. After the rocky hill and a small section of old jeep road there’s some really good singletrack that takes you up and over rocky hill down to Table Mesa. Across Table Mesa is where the Little Pan loop starts which is 90% good, fun singletrack with a short jeep road transition on the North part of the loop.

The whole ride from New River will take 4-6 hours depending on your pace. I would recommend going with someone who knows the loop since the South part is hard to find.

I think Solorider has GPS of the Little Pan loop which would be handy.

On a side note: The stuff we're biulding to meet up with the Little Pan from Black Canyon City is Unreal! amazing singletrack with awesome views. The system will be over 100+ miles of hand biult singletrack running up to the Mayer AZ area. We're already talking of bike/camp days and shuttles dropping people off in mayer for the ride down.

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
What are the trailheads like? and How remote of an area is this?

I guess what I'm getting at is, do you think there would be a good chance of getting your car or belongings stolen here?...and if so perhaps getting dropped off here would work best?

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Umbrous said:

I guess what I'm getting at is, do you think there would be a good chance of getting your car or belongings stolen here?...and if so perhaps getting dropped off here would work best?
The one I know is off of the I-17/Table Mesa exit. You have to drive a couple miles to the west on dirt roads to the trailhead. It's very non-descript and unimproved. Pretty remote - lots of shot up things, trash, old cars, etc. all over the place. Lots of ATV riders and Jeep crawlers, though they don't ride the same trails. So yeah, there's a chance of your car getting broken in to, probably more so than a "regular" TH...or maybe not.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Umbrous said:

My thoughts are that most small time break and grab crooks are in the more populated areas where more cars park

We haven't had any problems there but are very carefull everywhere we go not to have anything of value in the car. If you have anything of value advertised in the car, someone will get it no matter where you go.

Best policy is to keep them honest :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.