Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a ribbon cutting event coming up this Friday that will Highlight the Black Canyon Trail (BCT). The ribbon cutting event will be held at the at the Black Canyon City Trailhead on Warner Road to kick-off the beginning of trail work using the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding (stimulus money). That is HUGE for us and the trail. About $432K has been designated to complete the remaining linear distance of the trail, about 35 miles, in two years! That not only stimulates spending by the crews hired to do the work, it will stimulate the economy of the depressed communities close to the trail as visitors come to use the trail. We would like a good turnout to show support for the trail.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
So I am Curious?

So if the total trail is 50 miles long and $210,000 was spent to build that amount of trail the cost to build to date has been $4,000 plus per mile. Can anyone in the know tell us what the $4,000 plus per mile is spent on, just curious?

·
"Lurkers R us"
339 Posts
traildoc said:
So if the total trail is 50 miles long and $210,000 was spent to build that amount of trail the cost to build to date has been $4,000 plus per mile. Can anyone in the know tell us what the $4,000 plus per mile is spent on, just curious?
First you have to have this insight.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/222638

·
windrider
177 Posts
some ideas...

traildoc said:
traildoc,

That is a very good question. I have ridden the BCT from end to end and done a work a trail work day out there and I think I have some ideas. I have no doubt that transportation to and from the work sites adds up; obviously salary for the crews; and one thing not many people know about is that there are sections that get drilled and blasted. We're talking specialized equipment, explosives, and explosive experts. I've watched that process happen on road building and even small sections of a walk/ ride trail can involve lots of man hours and TNT aint cheap. Then throw in the South Park clip aspect of the fact that the "professional trail builders" are paid by the government/ you and me the tax payer. You can be certain that maximum efficiency, maximum effort, and stringent oversight are being applied like all government work, etc., etc. (please tell me you get the irony.) $4,000 a mile doesn't surprise me at all.

BRM

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
bigrigmig said:
traildoc,

That is a very good question. I have ridden the BCT from end to end and done a work a trail work day out there and I think I have some ideas. I have no doubt that transportation to and from the work sites adds up; obviously salary for the crews; and one thing not many people know about is that there are sections that get drilled and blasted. We're talking specialized equipment, explosives, and explosive experts. I've watched that process happen on road building and even small sections of a walk/ ride trail can involve lots of man hours and TNT aint cheap. Then throw in the South Park clip aspect of the fact that the "professional trail builders" are paid by the government/ you and me the tax payer. You can be certain that maximum efficiency, maximum effort, and stringent oversight are being applied like all government work, etc., etc. (please tell me you get the irony.) $4,000 a mile doesn't surprise me at all.

BRM
BRM:

Thanks for the insight. I was previously under the impression that the trail was being built entirely by volunteers and that the money was spent on parking lots and signage.

TD

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
traildoc said:
BRM:

Thanks for the insight. I was previously under the impression that the trail was being built entirely by volunteers and that the money was spent on parking lots and signage.

TD
No, the vast majority of the mileage to date was built by pro crews. but that should not under estimate the amount of tough miles that have and are being built by volunteers. The sections the pros build tend to be the sections that are very remote and require a lot of effort to get the tools and bodies into. while the volunteer sections are closer to access points buy car. the Pro's tent to live on or near the trail for the each week or so rotation. so the can crank out the mileage. the gov. match money hour for hour of the volunteer time put in ont he trail. the additional big pot was stimulus money!

As for the blasting....yes there has been TNT used to build BCT. on section south of Bubble bee has a crew doing that not and building a rock stair case that can be ridden by bikes and horses in the area cleared by the TNT. BLM also has a gas powered jackhammer and compressed air triggered "micro-blaster". but the major tools are pulaskis, mcclouds, picmatics, sledges and rockbars.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
What should be of interest is the total number of miles built by by pro builders, and the locations they worked at, so that we can see the true cost per mile of the most difficult sections on BCT. Still, this trail still rates so far as my all time favorite in AZ, from Rock Springs to the Little Pan loop, the McDowells were a close second.

·
Registered
23 Posts
-1 fer me, thanks to all that have worked on this trail, I will have to say its some of the best freshly cut single track in the state IMO. Again bumed I missed this:mad:

2 day heads up nice:thumbsup:

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was abeautiful day out for the ribbon cutting evnt. Here are few pics from the event:

Speaches

Cutting the ribbon

Debut of the first bike cattle guard/gate near the trailhead.

Post cutting ride/hike/horseback trail ride

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the goal is to eventually replace all the cowboy gates along the BCT. Timing will depend if BLM can get some more of the stimulus money.

tiffanyinanthem said:
LOVE the cattle guard/gate!!

Do you know if they are going to put in down on LPL?

Tiff

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Such a shame horses allowed on this great trail-hopefully this is not the case. The damage horses have caused just recently up here in P-town at Granite Basin area is just staggering as some jackasses and I don't mean the horses-decided taking them on soft earth was a good idea! Just another reason I head to warmer climates this time of year!

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The BCT has been designed as a multi-use trail for hikers, mountain bikers and equestrians. The equestrians have been a big part of the volunteers building the trail. I have no problem with horses using the trail. Most of the tread on BCT is pretty hard and will hold up well.

tls36 said:
Such a shame horses allowed on this great trail-hopefully this is not the case. The damage horses have caused just recently up here in P-town at Granite Basin area is just staggering as some jackasses and I don't mean the horses-decided taking them on soft earth was a good idea! Just another reason I head to warmer climates this time of year!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dam Dale missed ya. We were at the RS TH at 10ish, but headed up to the BB Th and started there. Ended up at RS TH and then went for some Bad A$$ BarBQue up the road. Good times. Thanks everyone for all who put in some hours on the trail work.

·
Trail Monger
204 Posts
Can anyone describe the riding from Bumble Bee down to Rock Springs TH. I am hoping that it flows similiar to Rock Springs to Little Pan Loop. How many miles is that? I guess that BCT may end up in Mayer or Prescott. That would be a great addition to the Monster cross daylong riding.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.