Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photos

06MAR2011
Rode BCT/Little Pan Loop on Sunday with a few friends, and as with every ride on the BCT, this one didn't disappoint. We saw quite a few other riders out there enjoying the day, saw a bald eagle, a herd of wild horses, one jackalope - with the biggest rack of antlers I've ever seen on a rabbit. Of course, my batteries fell out of the camera when I tried snapping a pic of the jackalope...you'll just have to take my word on that one. As is my tradition, I donated blood - again. I just want to be clear, also, that I did NOT fall into my cactus on this ride. Improvement. Small price to pay for having such a great trail system within an hour's drive.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
The water in that Aqua Frias turned my wheel bearings in my Hadley hubs to junk in short order, the last time I rode through it. Lots of minerals in ionic form in it, very corrosive. Next time, I'm carrying my bike across.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
First, great pics guys! Man, I can never get enough of great posts like this... Always seems like when I ride out at BCT, even though the camera is within reach, I don't take enough photos.

Second...bikes in the water with submerged hubs and bottom brackets...eeesh! I think it's the engineer in me and the fact that I just serviced my BB after only 8 months of use and found rust. Although it's slower, I always end up carrying my bike across the river unless it's 6" deep. Oh, and I have 2 brand new bottom brackets in their original wrapping and boxes if you find yours acting up.

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
You know, I hadn't thought about issues with hubs and bb's in the water. Seems obvious to me now that I think about it - and should have been obvious since I've been working with electrochemistry at work! Hopefully the bath I gave it when I got home will mitigate some of the damage.

Ray, you're lucky that my camera broke when we rode, or else I think we'd have been another hour getting back, with me wanting to stop every quarter mile to take a pic. The scenery out there is amazing, not to mention the trail construction. I saw how fast you did the AES ride plus the new section, in about 2 hours faster than we did the AES version! Even just one or two pics here and there add up over 40 miles. I'll have to get on that section again soon though, so I can get those pics....:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
How do you get to this part of Black Canyon? I rode out there a few years ago and thought it sucked, but the trails I rode didn't look anything like those. Would definitely like to give those a shot.

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
mwcet8k said:
How do you get to this part of Black Canyon? I rode out there a few years ago and thought it sucked, but the trails I rode didn't look anything like those. Would definitely like to give those a shot.
This trail head is right off the exit for Black Canyon City. Left at the off-ramp, right at the T-intersection, then an immediate left after the guardrail. Get on the trail and head south. I don't know what you were riding on, but from Hidden Treasure Mine to Emery Henderson, some 50 miles of trail, have been brilliant! And I mean all of it! Get on it! You won't regret it.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Don't forget to take a MAP with you. Some sections can be a little hard to follow for first timers.

Dag Nabbit said:
This trail head is right off the exit for Black Canyon City. Left at the off-ramp, right at the T-intersection, then an immediate left after the guardrail. Get on the trail and head south. I don't know what you were riding on, but from Hidden Treasure Mine to Emery Henderson, some 50 miles of trail, have been brilliant! And I mean all of it! Get on it! You won't regret it.

·
windrider
177 Posts
I second that

Raybum said:
First, great pics guys! Man, I can never get enough of great posts like this... Always seems like when I ride out at BCT, even though the camera is within reach, I don't take enough photos.

Second...bikes in the water with submerged hubs and bottom brackets...eeesh! I think it's the engineer in me and the fact that I just serviced my BB after only 8 months of use and found rust. Although it's slower, I always end up carrying my bike across the river unless it's 6" deep. Oh, and I have 2 brand new bottom brackets in their original wrapping and boxes if you find yours acting up.
This is coming from a former, and now re-visiting, Texas rider, but the rule was if the water is deeper than your bottom bracket and hubs, carry that sucker across and if you trip, you get wet before the bike does. Good luck with the upcoming overhauls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.