Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do the what sounds easy part Antelope to a mine. So I was going to use gnarly shuttle but that is not running. Is there any One who knows the best route to shuttle this section. I would do an out an back but my knee isn't up to climbing and the gnarly web said this is mostly down. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the one. Going this Saturday leaving the lower trail head at 7. Is bumblebee south of antelope creek?

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,349 Posts
Tomfs: Check out Google Maps, click on bicycling and the entire BCT shows up. Antelope Creek can be accessed off I-17, Bloody Basin exit, go west, then left at the 'T' onto FR259. The BCT crosses this road just before it drops down a huge hill. There's no trailhead there, but I would think there's plenty of room to park on the side of the road for a few hours.

Let's see if this link works:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2849938,-112.1393468,14z/data=!5m1!1e3

·
GONE
25,541 Posts
What is the best 20ish mile ride on BCT for someone going out there the first time? It appears to be an enormous trail system and I haven't got a clue where to start??? I'm fine with a loop or an out and back, fine with climbing as long as that is no more than half of the ride.

I really just want to see what the terrain is all about out there. Looking for awesome scenery, and I have high hopes to see some reptiles along the way. I will be riding the Picketpost section of the AZT the day prior so if there is any section in particular of BCT that can live up to those standards (or top them), your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What is the best 20ish mile ride on BCT for someone going out there the first time? It appears to be an enormous trail system and I haven't got a clue where to start??? I'm fine with a loop or an out and back, fine with climbing as long as that is no more than half of the ride.

I really just want to see what the terrain is all about out there. Looking for awesome scenery, and I have high hopes to see some reptiles along the way. I will be riding the Picketpost section of the AZT the day prior so if there is any section in particular of BCT that can live up to those standards (or top them), your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
I really like the section from rock springs to table mesa. From Phoenix, I 17 north to rock springs road exit. Left off exit. Right at road end. Immediate left to trail head. Hop on trail and go south for 10 miles and come back. Or do full lollipop loop. Good map on trail website for lollipop. Get Jack Daniels pecan pie at rock springs cafe after.

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,349 Posts
+1 on tysonnemb's recommendation. Just go by how your legs feel. From the trailhead to the top of the Lower Pan Loop (LPL) it's ~8 miles, greats climbs, fun downhills & nice views. If you still feel up for the loop it'll add ~8 miles total to the route. I'd suggest doing the loop in a CCW direction. The full lollipop is 24 miles and is probably the best known route at the BCT.

·
GONE
25,541 Posts
Thanks guys I found a perfect map that shows the start from Rock Springs and the finish at Table Mesa.

We will do the full lollipop From the Rock Mesa area. Glad I finally got this figured out!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks guys I found a perfect map that shows the start from Rock Springs and the finish at Table Mesa.

We will do the full lollipop From the Rock Mesa area. Glad I finally got this figured out!!!
Rock Springs you mean. :)

It's been a few years since I've been on LPL so I don't know if they have improved it or not but it is VERY easy to blow by the lower point of LPL when heading southbound. It's pretty obvious when you're heading back north so be aware if you happen to come across Table Mesa road (you'll know because you'l probably see a bunch of cars or trailers and possibly people shooting guns), you missed the turn. It only adds about 3 miles RT so it's no big deal but I figured I would point that out.

·
GONE
25,541 Posts
Rock Springs you mean. :)

It's been a few years since I've been on LPL so I don't know if they have improved it or not but it is VERY easy to blow by the lower point of LPL when heading southbound. It's pretty obvious when you're heading back north so be aware if you happen to come across Table Mesa road (you'll know because you'l probably see a bunch of cars or trailers and possibly people shooting guns), you missed the turn. It only adds about 3 miles RT so it's no big deal but I figured I would point that out.
Cool, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
20140329_125424_zps26dde173.jpg
It could have been a bear but thanks to freeskier I had a blast.
New to this ride report on here will give it a shot.
Rock springs cafe is a cool place a little crowded.
Sat at the bar or would have waited a long time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yeah it was a good day to be on those trails. An the Jack Daniels pecan pie is life changing. Grabbed one on way home.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
An the Jack Daniels pecan pie is life changing. Grabbed one on way home.
I asked them what makes the JD pie so damned addictive. They wouldn't tell me, but I think it may be the tiny amount of meth they put into them...

·
GONE
25,541 Posts
BCT is incredible!!! On my top 3 all time list of riding trails. We tried to get into Rock Springs Cafe afterward but the place was slammed! Why is there so many people in that place?! The wait to eat was an hour and the parking lot was full so we bailed out of there and slid down to Anthem. Stopped at a little grill for some good grub and then I headed back to So Cal. Thanks again for the help guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts