Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Cross post from Ak.spokes)

I ran an errand yesterday evening and ran into two black bears on the path between Lake Otis and Elmore, along the north side of the north fork of Campbell Creek. I didn't stick around, only watching briefly.

I got out again this evening and followed mostly the same path as yesterday. Again I ran into two black bears in the same vicinity. I may have been mistaken if they were the same two as yesterday, because yesterday I assumed the two were siblings. Tonight these two appeared to be a sow with a single subadult. They played and wrestled in the woods while I watched for a few minutes. Check it out.

Attachments

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check out this blind guy!

He never even noticed until he was right alongside. Either blind or mind was totally pre-occupied, nevertheless, I think he got really lucky. He didn't even slow down, just went cruising on by with his freewheel clicking like mad as he passed.

Attachments

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My return was even better!

As I was returning from the airport post office, following the same route, I fully expected to see the same pair as I passed through their area. I wasn't really too surprised when I ran across a bear beside the bike path again in the vicinity, but was then shocked to see a cub!

I didn't see the cub at first, it was behind some shrub, in the left of the first pic below. Then as the sow began to cross the path and graze, a second cub appeared! Wow, the hits just came on coming..... what an evening, it totally outdid yesterday. Cubs are always such a treat to see.

Sorry about the poor quality of pics, I really wasn't too steady. I was straddling my bike and a bit contorted while trying to keep my distance. Please be careful while cruising through this area as all of a sudden the concentrations are high, and the bears aren't showing any fear.

Attachments

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Did this guy need help cleaning out his drawers after this shot was taken?

Great photos as usual Rando.
Be careful out there.

·
Ologist
964 Posts
"Cute! Those black bear cubs look so puntable!"

They are really hard to clean out of your spokes too

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
tscheezy said:
Cute! Those black bear cubs look so puntable!

These are the guys I would see on my rides last summer:

Seriously Tscheezy, I don't know how you do it.
I'm freakin' scared of your photo, I think if I would have seen that group of hellions out on the trail somewhere my entire head would explode (along with my a$$).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I added another bottle cage for bears spray last night, looks like I am going to have more than moose to contend with on my daily commute across town.

I hate to say this but its only a matter of time before someone has another BAD encounter with bears becoming this bold.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wrapped some closed-cell foam sheeting around my bear spray and it slips pretty snug into my bottle holder. Don't want to be rubbing through the spray cannister from metal/metal abrasion!

Can goes "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT"
Bob goes "My eyes!" (claw claw claw)
Bear goes *snif snif* "dinner?"

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Riding on the beaches in Port Moller meant constantly riding through bear infested country. Carrying bear spray on short rides can be a bother as you always have to strap something on. I made a quick-deploy downtube bear spray holder you may enjoy.

Find some PVC or ABS pipe which is just slightly smaller in inside diameter than your bear spray can. Cut it lengthwise, not quite in half. You want the larger half to wrap around the can a little over halfway so the can snaps into the pipe. More wrap-around means more holding power, but it can be tough to get the can in and out. You may need to experiment.

Take the leftover piece and cut it down to be much narrower (about 1" wide), and a bit shorter. Drill two holes in it that match the spacing and diameter of the water bottle cage mounting bolts. Mark the location of these holes on the larger piece of pipe, and drill those holes large enough so that the entire water bottle bolt head fits inside (so they nest flush and don't protrude into the bear spray can). Use PVC primer and cement to glue the mess together, held in a vice to get a good contact (the inside radius of the smaller piece does not match the outside radius of the larger piece so pressure is needed).

Mount up and go find some bears!

·
Ologist
964 Posts
Nice design. I have been using a canister case with a strap that takes a little to set up, but when it is on, it is on for the season. I think I want to build a "Cheezy holster". Has the canister ever bounced out?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great design! I have two different diameter cannisters but ABS comes in all sizes. I smell a project coming on for tomorrow!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Valhalla said:
Has the canister ever bounced out?
No, it has stayed put. You can vary the holding power dramatically depending on how far you have the pipe wrap around the can. Also, if you need some extra friction once the paper label peels off, a couple wraps of black electrical tape around the bear spray can helps.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Hmmm... I think I'll be constructing a Cheez-tastic holder as well!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yesterday, My resource crew and I were working in the recently burned area on campbell creek, right off piper where you are talking about....Mama and cubs KNEW we were in the vicinity and initially came to within 40 ft of us in the burned area, and after we shooed them off and exited the area she stayed and followed us alongside the trail, within 12 ft.

It was amazing to see a mama and a cub but it was still way too close for comfort, especially since we were making so much noise and they just didn't care at all. Bears are beautiful but man I wish they were more weary of people on these greenbelts. Thanks for the pics and, man and I bet your adrenaline was pumping as much as ours was! Quite a scare when you look over to the next tree and it's a sow coming your way.

·
beer is good
532 Posts
Hey, Rando
really great shots, man!
I'll assume your incredible machismo put 'em in their place though;)

p.s. I saw three rattlesnakes on todays ride:eek:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hmmm... I think I'll be constructing a Cheez-tastic holder as well!
Take care in your construction. After news of the incident at the 24-hour, our next rider went out (against our wishes and his better judgement..sleep deprivation?) and we made him take the one that was strapped to Bubbas bike. I seem to remember it being a bit too snug and having much difficulty getting it out of there. All this while not on the bike. It is a good design, but there is a fine line btwn secure and semi-permanent fixture.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts