Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just crossed over 215 on the way towards Bear's Best from the LVC side when a dog decided to take taste of my leg.

The dog was on a walk with his owners on the 215 path between Hualapi and Town Center, off leash, and decided he wasn't to fond of me riding my bike, I guess.

He managed to leave some teeth marks - they'll go well with all my other MTB scars - we'll have to see if any infection starts. The owner has already sent copies of the Rabies vaccination, so no worries there.

Anyone else been attacked by dogs while riding? Do you try to kick the dog away? I literally did not see him until he was at my leg as I was busy playing Town Center Frogger, looking over my shoulder, so I'm not sure I would have even had time to react.

Be careful out there - it's a dog eat man world evidently...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been chased but never bitten, always been fortunate enough To be headed downhill. I know one day my luck with run out though. I do carry a small .22 in the event I am attacked by a stray or the owner is unable to gain control. However, I hope it never comes to that. What did the owner do?? Hope the legs are good and heal soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is crazy and unfortunate. In today's times it is a HUGE risk to walk a dog in public without a leash due to the huge liability.

What did the owner say to you after it happened?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dog was a 95lb white Lab.

Owners were sorry and embarrassed, dog had never done anything like that before, maybe he just doesn't like bikes, etc.

I noticed the dog was on a leash after that, we'll see if they learned anything.

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
The owner is fortunate you are so understanding as I don't think most people would be.
Agreed.

Been chased a few times, usually a swift kick deters them enough to think twice.

Got chased by a pack of coyotes one night in cottonwood lots of years ago, when we still had wildlife out there, let's just say if Strava was around back then I'd still be KOM on a few of those segments ;)
Maybe I should be carrying a chrome pistola instead of a coca cola on my next bp trip :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was finishing a ride at Cottonwood and a woman was finishing a hike with a dog off leash. It was a pretty big dog, and started at me as soon as I got close to them and was very vicious. I started totally hauling a$$ but couldn't go faster than the dog, and didn't want to not pedal by taking time to kick the dog. Luckily it tried to get in front of me and I rammed it with my tire, and that freaked it out enough to leave me alone. The woman then got some control over the dog and I stopped and gave her a piece of my mind, and almost threw a big rock at the dog but was worried I would hit her so I just left. It was pretty intense.

·
washed-up moto guy
237 Posts
Scary stuff for sure. On Monday's lunch ride (road) alongside the Truckee River here in Reno I was chased by a loose pitbull. I was carrying a good pace and got away, but as soon as he stopped chasing me I saw him turn and run towards a lady and her chihuahua. The lady didn't know what to do and screamed while the pit thrashed her little dog around like a rag doll.

By the time it had thrashed and slammed the chihuahua into the ground 2 times I had finally gotten to it. I unclipped and beat the pit with my bike until it let go and bent both rims in the process. Little Chihuahua was torn up but should be ok. We called animal control but the dog ran off.

People need to realize that a dog can be extremely dangerous, especially when it is a breed that strong, powerful and potentially lethal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
People are just stupid. Dogs need to be on a leash if out in public. My wife was out running and was bit in the face by a dog a couple of years ago. A couple of tiny stitches needed, but no real scarring. The owner was real sorry and kept apologizing. She's lucky we aren't the lawsuit happy kind of people. We heard from a friend of ours that the same dog bit him a few months earlier as he and his wife were out walking. We called animal control and they said since it was a second attack, the dog would be put down.
My wife now carries a small can of pepper spray with her when she runs. You can't do much of you don't hear them coming, but I have found that a quick kick in the face will scare most of them off. I do have a fixed blade knife on the strap of my camelback just in case I need it. I used to carry a small gun, but I figured by the time I dug into the pack to get the gun out, I'd be chewed up pretty good. The knife is super handy and accessible.

·
\m/ \m/
368 Posts
You need to get lawyer, the law states the dog must be on a leash. You need to hold the owner accountable.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree that the dog should be leashed, but why lawyer up when the bite wasn't severe, and the owners were cooperative? Mistakes happen, and we all make them. It is unfortunate for the op, but it could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
I've never been chased by a dog that I was worried would catch me. I've been chased by little yorkies, and the likes before but they can't keep up with 5" legs.

Leash laws aside, one thing thats really important to remember with dogs, and while this seems counter intuitive, if a dog starts to chase you, you need to STOP, get off your bike and put the bike between you and the dog. Attempting to get away invokes a dogs prey drive and will make them chase you, and most likely, they will catch you. Most of the time - again, MOST - the dog will stop and thats the end of it. If you have time and the dog hasn't gone away, take off your helmet too, as its an oddity that some dogs may not recognize. Plus, the further your keep riding, the further you are from the dogs owner (in theory).

I'm a responsible dog owner; my dogs have NEVER been off-leash in a public area and it pisses me off to no end when I see others do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts