Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm officially crazy I know! Mt. biking has been the best mood-leveling activity ever! I have always loved it for the last 17 years and I have spent a lot of money keeping my Kona tuned up and rideable for quite a some years...It is completely ridden out...yep, have ridden it proudly for that long but I need to outfit my kids with bikes and gear so no more for me!

Any other people here who are lucky enough to regulate their moods with Mt. biking? I'm interested in what your excercise and riding plan is that keeps you motivated to ride several days per week. I ride on the road 10 miles per day and ride 2-3 hour trail rides a couple of times a week...If I don't ride daily, I lose motivation...I get obsessive about it when I ride every day. Trying to work in more rides when I have someone watch the kiddos. Heading to the in-laws just to have them watch the kids while I ride around the NW.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,933 Posts
Stacy123 said:
Any other people here who are lucky enough to regulate their moods with Mt. biking? I'm interested in what your excercise and riding plan is that keeps you motivated to ride several days per week. I ride on the road 10 miles per day and ride 2-3 hour trail rides a couple of times a week...If I don't ride daily, I lose motivation...I get obsessive about it when I ride every day. Trying to work in more rides when I have someone watch the kiddos. Heading to the in-laws just to have them watch the kids while I ride around the NW.
That sounds pretty normal to me.

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Riding is definitely good for my mood. More to the point, the longer I go without a ride, the worse my mood becomes.

I know there's studies that show exercise in general is good for lifting one's mood, but a run or a session at the gym doesn't cut it for me. I do both of those things, sure. But a good MTB ride is like nothing else. Even more so if it's a session of DH - I find pushing the envelope and skating really close to the edge give me the grins big time, and it lasts for days afterwards. Could just be adrenaline I know, but I'll take it whatever it is.

·
Registered
762 Posts
There is nothing better for clearing the mind and mood than a long bike ride.

·
Registered
233 Posts
nuclear_powered said:
Riding is definitely good for my mood. More to the point, the longer I go without a ride, the worse my mood becomes.
This is why I hate travelling for work. Where we go there are generally no trails, and we're gone for 2+ weeks at a time. My mood is pretty sour by the time we're on our way home. As soon as I get home though, I hit the trails hard.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I've seen riding suggested for ADD as well.

It has something to do with the comprehensive demands and the immediate feedback cycle that works for them.

If one is using it to alter mood it is probably from a history of satisfaction. Just about anyone would turn to something that works a high percentage of the time. Tthe physiological change our body goes through as we warm up and start working and the bodies reaction to it is a hard thing to ignore.

For me there is a Wizard at the top of the hill behind my house. I go to see him often and he always seems to be around when I get there. :cool:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It's a HUGE treatment for my ADD. Something about the combination of focus and detachment trains that part of my brain. The benefit stays with me sometimes for days after a good ride.

The funny thing is, I don't ride to be happy. I ride to be focused and relaxed, and carrying around that feeling of clarity makes me happy.

I find myself wanting to tell people how good my life is right now but it's almost funny that I can't, because it's about the most mundane of things. I just have to be stuck being happy. (Poor me, lol.)

·
Eat More Dirt
127 Posts
Focus, Adrenaline, Fear, Love, Pain, Ecstasy. Bicycling is probably a poor substitute to what a soul really needs, but its is also the closest thing I have found that satiates.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I find mixing in riding with other people, working in other enjoyable exercise, and a balanced diet, helps regulate my moods even better than just riding. Try not to become obsessive with just one activity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Exercise is recommend to combat depression as it lightens peoples moods.

I used to go for a run if i got angry or stressed. Im a bit of an adrenaline junky too if I cant get my fix every couple of weeks i get very frigidity and bad tempered, running never really gave that to me so mt biking replaced it pretty quickly after i discovered how fun could it could be.

I do however have to ride regularly otherwise it hard to motivate myself and end up going to the local theme park instead :)

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Interesting thread. My wife understands the benefits to my mood and focus. When I get terminally grumpy she will tell me I need a ride and start pushing me out the door. Works like a reset button for me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I spent a little bit of time in the mental health ward of the hospital a few years back and once I got out I decided to give mountain biking a try again(hadn't been serious about it since college). Its been great I think it works better than all my other meds combined. My wife makes sure I get out on at least 2 rides a week usually three just so that I don't fall back into bad habits again. My mountain bike was in the shop for 2 weeks straight and my wife was ready to kill me, I went out and bought another bike just so I could get out again after the first week. I can honestly say that without getting back on a bike I wouldn't be where I am today. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Pssst. Hey man, wanna score some endorphins? They make you feel goooood! :arf: And they're legal! Can you believe it?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
That's it right there, that's what NP was talking about with the DH ;) Once you're pushing yourself on the edge the body really kicks up the endorphines to make the nerves/ muscles/ body react as fast as it needs. There's nothing better than pushing your limits and not crashing, don't mind if that means pushing some smooth flowly, flat ST, or some knar DH.

For me when I'm stressed (and with these economic times, who isn't) it's best to hit up the most tech places, cause you have to forget about it all or risk crashing. Best thing that can happen is you totally and absolutely let go of all other things on your mind and you have a zen ride, where everything is clear and you clean everything - it's a high like you can't get with drugs.

Gasp4Air said:
Pssst. Hey man, wanna score some endorphins? They make you feel goooood! :arf: And they're legal! Can you believe it?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
screampint said:
ADOS.....

Attention Deficit.... Ooooo Shiny!

New bike parts are almost as bad as new trails to ride.
LOL! Retail therapy applied to your mood stabilizer delivery device :D As with most addictions, they are only considered a "problem" when they have significant negative impacts on other areas of your life, such as your bank account, daily responsibilities, social circle, or health... uh oh... LOL
Laissez les bon temps rouler. :D

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Great thread! :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more with everyone who has said mountain biking is a phenomenal mood enhancer/stabilizer. I'm ADD and it helps me enormously too.

Of course, so does kayaking, flyfishing, snowboarding, etc.

The more I do it for a living (as I do now), the more convinced I become that sitting at a computer for hours is the WORST possible thing for human beings to do. As a species, we did not evolve to sit on our asses all day. We evolved to use our brains in conjunction with our bodies, hands, musculature, etc.

I believe so many of the things wrong with people and societies today are a direct result of too many people sitting on their asses too much of the time.

Any activity that challenges our minds and our bodies is beneficial in countless ways.

I'm currently in counseling now for a variety of reasons (none of which are debilitating in any way)...and though it's been interesting, I don't believe it's helped me anywhere nearly as much as mountain biking (or any other mind/body activity I do). After all, counseling is (surprise!) more of just sitting on your ass!

Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts