Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love using my Park Tools chain cleaner, but I ran out of the solvent and would prefer to replace with a bio-solvent. Any recommendations? I found the Finish Line product but it is super expensive:
Finish Line Citrus BioSolvent, 128oz (1 gallon) ORM-D, Cleaners and Degreasers

I am hoping there is a non bike specific product that doesn't have ridiculous mark-up and works just as good....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Simple green.....works 10 parts water to 1 part simple green

·
Plays with tools
4,646 Posts
The Dumonde Tech citrus degreaser is probably the best I've used and it's a little cheaper. Solvents have gotten expensive across the board. Everything from denatured alcohol to acetone to MEK seems like it's doubled in the last 5 years. If cheap is what you're after there is always good ol diesel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks....I was doing some more research and came across the Simple Green Extreme. 1 Gallon is only $25 or so. Was thinking about trying that out. There was some chatter out there that the OG simple green was not great for chains, some issues with crystalizing and causing problems.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use simple green with the park chain cleaner once a week......and the 1.7 dry lube.

I havent had any problems been on the same chain for almost a year now.

I have to leave my bike outside because my CLU isnt big enough....and we are about half mile from the redsea east africa. 1.7 lube is really good to.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I've been using the orange clean from ZEP I got at Home cheap or Lowes was 9 bucks.. works perfectly. I actually add 1 part rubbing alcohol to 5 parts or so cleaner.. works really well and is dirt cheap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like I can't get the ZEP orange cleaner in California....lame. Well I will try out Simple Green. Thanks to all for the help!

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts

·
turtles make me hot
11,507 Posts
At my job, we get imitation Simple Green called Jungle Jake. Never tried it on a chain, but looks and smells exactly like Simple Green.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts