Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bionicon Rider
215 Posts
Nice Craftsmanship :thumbsup: and a very solid alternative.

The only downside would be in a crash or in the unlikely event of something getting tangled up in there is that it won't break. the hanger is designed to act like a derailleur hanger and break a $4 part before destroying the $50 part.

Bionicon is working on a slightly stronger and nicer looking mount in the future, but with people running a third zip tie in the center and being sure they have enough chain, in a big compression and a bad gear combo the chain can over-tighten and rip the hanger from the chainstay. We have had a very few complaints ( i.e. 1 in maybe 250) since the mounting instructions update.

·
www.EpicCyclist.com
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only downside would be in a crash or in the unlikely event of something getting tangled up in there is that it won't break. the hanger is designed to act like a derailleur hanger and break a $4 part before destroying the $50 part.
That's a good point, I may change it if a new plastic hinge is a bit beefier but for now the stock one is way to wimpy. As for cost I'm not sure, it took me about 1hour to make it and would probably change a few things on the next one...I wont be going in business any time soon, it's really just for fun.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Heat shrink wrap idea is clever and easy - I will probably poach the idea and apply it to mine.

The custom hinge I will pass on lol :p

Question for ya - In your write up you state that you damaged the brand new guide during the test of metal........isnt it a bit risky putting a brand new part on a bike for a race :D seriously though, was the part you damaged during the test the original piece, or the modified one?

·
Bionicon Rider
215 Posts
Heat shrink wrap idea is clever and easy - I will probably poach the idea and apply it to mine.
The shrink wrap is not a bad idea, although its probably unnecessary . Only problem is that you would have to either cut it or break the chain when the tube starts wearing and you need to rotate it to prolong the life. If you remember to rotate it and flip it every once in a while you can get a ton of life. I have been running the same one for a year now and am just now considering putting a new one on.

·
www.EpicCyclist.com
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The custom hinge I will pass on lol :p

Question for ya - In your write up you state that you damaged the brand new guide during the test of metal........isnt it a bit risky putting a brand new part on a bike for a race :D seriously though, was the part you damaged during the test the original piece, or the modified one?
I damaged the original part, it ripped off (had 3 zip ties btw). It's more for fun that I made that part, the next one I'm changing a few things... but already have a bunch of emails to buy one :lol:(I'm not selling them, if some one want to make a buisness of it, go ahead:)). As for the heat shrink it's really not that hard to remove and I have a quick link on my chain anyway... my guide, well after one ride is worn almost through... but to be fair, conditions where brutal and it's not the only part I trashed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.