Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there riding a Bionicon Edison. After studying up on them I thought it seemed a good posibillity for someone like myself that loves the technical downhills but thinks shuttling is for mama's boys. I'm suprised no other companies have developed similar bikes, although I'm predicting that in the next ten years all the big companies will offer a similar style bike and within 15 years they'll be like full suspensions are now...everybody's gotta have one. Anyway', any other info/pros/cons would be appreciated. My favorite rides involve climbing 4000-5000' and descending rocky singletrack, but I'm not a cliff jumper. Any problems with the suspension, getting the bike serviced, or maintenance problems?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I think a search would reveal a few Bionicons.

The reviews look good but I have never ridden one. Apparently the bikes work pretty much as claimed. I've seen one on trails: the rider thought it is a good bike but he was complaining about his lack of skills on the bumpy trail... :D

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,239 Posts
bpressnall said:
Anyone out there riding a Bionicon Edison. After studying up on them I thought it seemed a good posibillity for someone like myself that loves the technical downhills but thinks shuttling is for mama's boys. I'm suprised no other companies have developed similar bikes, although I'm predicting that in the next ten years all the big companies will offer a similar style bike and within 15 years they'll be like full suspensions are now...everybody's gotta have one. Anyway', any other info/pros/cons would be appreciated. My favorite rides involve climbing 4000-5000' and descending rocky singletrack, but I'm not a cliff jumper. Any problems with the suspension, getting the bike serviced, or maintenance problems?
The system is pretty reliable, but there are more advanced suspension systems out there (better pedaling/acceleration/bump absorption), in addition the bionicon system currently relies on an air shock, so for those of us that are used to real nice suspension over the rides you described, it may not cut it. You can also get 95% of the function by having a fork with a feature such as marzocchi's ETA that lets the front sink way down for climbing super steep stuff (and then retain better suspension performance). The bionicon stuff works, and it isn't bad, but depending on the rider the disadvantages may outweigh the advantages. If you've always ridden XC bikes with air shocks or hardtail bikes you may not even notice the above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.