Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a x-post from Turner forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=91732

I originally inquired about a possibility of biking up a 14er. Turns out there are several options. Mt. Elbert looks like a nice one. Coolhandluchs suggested posting it here as well. I'll definatelly will want to hike up 1 or 2 before I set out to bike one, but say June, July, I definatelly want to do it. Maybe we could turn this into a group ride?

_MK

·
ride
5,275 Posts
MK_ said:

I originally inquired about a possibility of biking up a 14er. Turns out there are several options. Mt. Elbert looks like a nice one. Coolhandluchs suggested posting it here as well. I'll definatelly will want to hike up 1 or 2 before I set out to bike one, but say June, July, I definatelly want to do it. Maybe we could turn this into a group ride?

_MK
I'd be up for closing the shop down for a day to do Elbert. That's got to be pretty epic. I know some folks here have done it - speak up! pics?

·
Registered
95 Posts
14ers

MK_ said:

_MK
Elbert is great if you start from the Twin Lakes side. I did it twice in 95' I'll post pics later as I am at work and pic is at home. It took about 2 to 21/2 hours up and the worst section of trail is right out of treeline on an old jeep road. July will make a better trip probably, lots of snow up there this year. I and a buddy are playing with the idea this year as well. It isn't a long ride just a steep one. Massive is in wilderness.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I'd be interested in joining such a ride - I'll bet that Don and DW (hereafter referred to as "Darkwing") would too... provided that we could convince Don that chamomile tea and crumpets would be served at the summit. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
I'd be interested in joining such a ride - I'll bet that Don and DW (hereafter referred to as "Darkwing") would too... provided that we could convince Don that chamomile tea and crumpets would be served at the summit. ;)
I have done Evans on a road bike a couple of times... Not the easiest oif rides especiallty when you consider starting from Evergreen and climbing Squaw Pass first...

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
How much portage did you do?

bikeCOLORADO said:
I've done Pikes Peak via Barr Trail by bike from bottom to top...it was a BEAR!
I have made it to the timberline lean-to, but there was quite a bit of hike-a-bike involved in the last mile. I was not a very technical rider at that point, but I can't imagine riding much between the lean to and the top based on my one hiking experience...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Leadville

goldenboy said:
doesn't the leadville trail 100 race get pretty close to 14?

I'd like to join in this death climb too, so I am posting just to keep me-self posted...
The Leadville Trail 100 gets right up to 13,000' at columbine mine. :D

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
cool pic

that must have been fairly early in the season judging by the snow

and you still had strength enough to hoist your bike over your head, niiice

what is the trail up like? you mentioned a fire road, is there single track too? is it southern or northern exposure? where do we find a map?

sorry for all the questions, with all the snow all I can do is dream about riding...

·
Registered
95 Posts
14er

goldenboy said:
that must have been fairly early in the season judging by the snow

and you still had strength enough to hoist your bike over your head, niiice

what is the trail up like? you mentioned a fire road, is there single track too? is it southern or northern exposure? where do we find a map?

sorry for all the questions, with all the snow all I can do is dream about riding...
It was in late July but a wet year (1995).
The trail is in good shape, great shape if you consider what the trail goes up. The last 3/4mi. the trail is rocky but off and on ridable. I hike-a-biked for less than two football feilds I am sure.
The road is a very old jeep road that has vegitation growth on it, no vehicles have probably been on it in my lifetime (OLD road).
Mainly southern exposure the way I went.
Maps can be had at the forrest service or Bill's sports shop in Leadville (3rd and Harrison).
We all need to hook it up in late July/early August! :D

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cole said:
Definatelly. I'll keep my hardtail alive until then. Anyone willing to head the organization committee? ;)

_MK

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Cole said:
It was in late July but a wet year (1995).
The trail is in good shape, great shape if you consider what the trail goes up. The last 3/4mi. the trail is rocky but off and on ridable. I hike-a-biked for less than two football feilds I am sure.
The road is a very old jeep road that has vegitation growth on it, no vehicles have probably been on it in my lifetime (OLD road).
Mainly southern exposure the way I went.
Maps can be had at the forrest service or Bill's sports shop in Leadville (3rd and Harrison).
There's another way which *may* be doable but man would it hurt. Past Twin Lakes towards Independence Pass there's the "Black Cloud Trail" up Elbert which is mostly singletrack. It's steep. I don't recall any "no biking" signs and talked about riding it a bunch when we climbed it...well, mostly it was DW who talked about him being able to ride it and me talking about him not being able to ride it. See here for more info on that: http://www.anvilbikes.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=198& not a great pic o' the trail :) but it clearly shows the route.

The trail has two natural "rest/flat" sections to this point and just past treeline where the pic was taken, the trail levels out for a bit before traversing up the final slopes. That last bit would be tough, but it would be a killer downhill on the return. Another nice thing is that there was nobody on this trail when we did it but there were tons of people on top of Elbert that day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
14er

MK_ said:
Definatelly. I'll keep my hardtail alive until then. Anyone willing to head the organization committee? ;)

_MK
I vote MK...Your the one hypin' the subject! I'll help though if we table the idea until June sometime before planning (no need to plan just yet). :D

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
My thoughts exactly

MK_ said:
Definatelly. I'll keep my hardtail alive until then.
_MK
Probably the last great gasp for my hardtail, since it's about 5-6 lbs lighter than my FS.

As for organization...pick a 14er, pick a weekend, and let people come as they may.

Maybe a poll thread as to when to go? I'd vote for the middle of July. Less chance of a T-storm and hopefully not a lot of snow left on the trails.

I have no idea which mountain though. Haven't climbed any of 'em :(

·
ride
5,275 Posts
boing

coolhandluchs said:
Probably the last great gasp for my hardtail, since it's about 5-6 lbs lighter than my FS.
Not me - I'll be on the 5 Spot - all 30 pounds of it. If I climb that long and that far, I'm for sure not going to be picking myself precariously down the mountain on a hardtail. I will be relishing the downhill in suspended bliss.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
DWF said:
There's another way which *may* be doable but man would it hurt. Past Twin Lakes towards Independence Pass there's the "Black Cloud Trail" up Elbert which is mostly singletrack.
Would it be lame to concider the "easy" way up and the singletrack down? Dare I say, provide a shuttle of sorts?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ignazjr said:
Not me - I'll be on the 5 Spot - all 30 pounds of it. If I climb that long and that far, I'm for sure not going to be picking myself precariously down the mountain on a hardtail. I will be relishing the downhill in suspended bliss.
That's a good point, maybe I'll do it on my 5 Spot as well.

As of the mountain, I think that it is safe to say that we are settling on Elbert. There are a few route options, but we have time to settle on one. Time, I would say mid to late July, definatelly before the T-Storm season. I'm getting a bit anxious to do it!

_MK

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.